write syslog to windows share

hello, we are currently experimenting with writing syslog files out to a windows share. I am able to successfully mount the share with mount -v cifs ... and can navigate into the mount point and create/edit files as necessary. However, the syslog will not write out to this mount point. any ideas as to why the syslog can not write to it? Is this even a good idea or are there better ways to accomplish syslog consolidation (we prefer them to be on our windows file server for backup/archive perposes). thanks in advance.

Hi.
Do the log files exist on the share? If not, you should "touch" them, and then
refresh -s syslogd

yes the syslog.log file exist on the share. Funny thing is I can touch/edit/ whatever to the syslog.log file from the AIX box. The next thought is a permissions issue, so we set the mode to 777 when mounting the share just to be sure. Now as any user I can manipulate files inside the share as i need, however the syslog still will not write to the share. Maybe something very simple is being overlooked?

I am still having this same issue and can not find the solution. I can 'echo test > /syslog/syslog.log' and write/append to the file, but the syslog daemon will not write to the file. Does anyone have any suggestions? thanks in advance.

Possibly a permissions issue... Some daemons don't like it when files don't have specific permissions (rsh, for example). Try and mount the windows share so it (and all the files within) have exactly the same owner, group and perms as your local syslog logs. This is just a guess I'm afraid....

Another suggestion, and a more robust solution, would be to set up local syslog to log to a remote syslog server. You can get these for windows (check google or freshmeat.net). With your setup if the Windows host goes down then syslog will likely crap itself, you'll lose your logs for the period of the outage at best. With a remote syslog daemon handling the logging it's all more graceful.