Windows vs Unix/Linux

Hello

is it possible to have Both Windows AND Unix and even mabey Windows AND Unix AND Linux on 1 machine??

G�33Tz:confused:

It is not possible to have all three on 1 machine, Linux is a clone of Unix, the arch is a little more modern in Linux but achieves a similar objective in usability. The big Unix vendors still tend to have better smp code which is why Solaris can run 64 processor E10ks. Users and admins will find they are very similar and tend to follow the POSIX standard (a portable standard for application interface).

Linux is just a kind of Unix. Except for Solaris, Unixes are expensive products mostly put out by computer companies. For example, IBM produces AIX and several other varieties of Unix, of which AIX is the cheapest. However, they will only run on PowerPC-based systems, whereas Linux will run on over 30 different hardware chipsets. If you have a Pentium, then Linux and Solaris are the only two viable choices (also FreeBSD, but that is very close to Linux).

Basically, if u want Unix and Windows on 1 machine, all u need to do is buy Linux software and partition ur drive and install Linux - so u can use both Linux and Windows. Hope that helped. :slight_smile:

Hi,

The only way that I could think of to run multiple Os's is through an emulator. For example - on my imac I run OS X (Unix variant), OS 9 (the classic mac os), Windows 98 (through virtual PC) and Windows NT (through virtual PC).

To be honest though, both windows 98 and NT run quite sluggish under emulation, probably equivilant to a 100mhz PII

So it can be done, but it's far from ideal. What I would love to see is Windows emulation under OS X in the same way that OS 9 is emulated.

Computer operating systems communicate with, and manage, registers in the underlying silicon hardware. Therefore, with currrent state-of-the-art technology, only one operating system may communiate with the underlying hardware (at a time).

This means that you can run either one OS or another, not both. The exception is with emulation applications, but in this application, you are not really running two operating systems, you are running one and emulating the other on top of one.

There are no robust emulations of Windows 2000 on any UNIX variant and there are no robust emulations of UNIX on W2K.

Apple has successfully emulated the Mac OS 9 OS on top of UNIX (Darwin, in MAC OS X). If you want the best of both worlds operating at the same time, then MAC OS X is a good (and more expensive!) choice.

Linux is a specific flavor of Unix, you can create 2 partitions on your hard drive and install Linux on one and Windows on another. It is called a dual-boot setup.

I believe you can switch between the two just by pressing like F9 in some cases, but you wont be able to run them simultaneously.

As the earlier poster indicated, to run windows or unix programs in the other os, you will need to run the emulation package first.

Best Wishes!

Hi - first message here!

I've just installed a 3-way boot on a 4G HD (Intel architecture) with W95, FreeBSD, and Debian. To be honest, I just wanted to see if it could be done. It seems fine, and I had no problems that weren't covered in the various FAQ's. The FreeBSD boot manager takes care of everything.
I'm scrapping this though - my girlfriend complains about the complexity of the new setup, so I've just secured an HP workstation for HP-UX, leaving the Intel to W95.

I think that this system preserves hygiene at the hardware level! :slight_smile:

Best Wishes.

BTW, great site.

I believe someone posted here a long while back saying that they had installed something like 6 or 7 different Unices in one box!

youc an install many os's on you system so long you boot manager has the option to boot from partitions on extended partitions. you can only make 4 primaire partitions. so if all your os's need a primair partition you can install 4 and a boot manager in the master boot record(MBR).
i have installed one time freebsd (a bsd unix clone) , linux and windows on one pc.
you only need to look how to install the os's and which one firs and which one last. personally i think freebsd first then windows then linux.