Which X Window system is installed on my server that would work with Xming?

I would like to use Xming to connect a server and managed to get it to work. I am now trying to get it to connect to a different server but i am not sure which X Window system is installed. I tried it through putty and i get the following error/warning:

/usr/java/jdk1.7.0_67/bin> jvisualvm
/usr/java/jdk1.7.0_67/lib/visualvm/platform/lib/nbexec: WARNING: environment variable DISPLAY is not set

I have previously used a windows BAT script to launch XWindows - Shown below:

@echo off
    SET LOCAL_HOST=localhost
    SET PATH=C:\wresourcex\bin\Xming

SET REMOTE_HOST=%1
    SET SCREEN=%2

REM Default to archie with screen 1
    if "%1"=="" SET REMOTE_HOST=MySever.com
    if "%2"=="" SET SCREEN=0

SET DISPLAY=%LOCAL_HOST%:%SCREEN%.0

REM For XDM logon just run this line
    REM run Xming -query %REMOTE_HOST% -lesspointer -emulate3buttons

REM For SSH Tunneling use these 2 lines
    rem run Xming :%SCREEN% -lesspointer -notrayicon -emulate3buttons
    run plink -ssh -X %REMOTE_HOST% /usr/dt/bin/Xsession

REM Use this if want Gnome instead
    rem run plink -ssh -X %REMOTE_HOST% /usr/bin/gnome-session

The above works in one server but not on the one i am using now. I have looked at both the /usr/dt/bin/ and /usr/bin folders and both program (referred to in the script) do not exist in those locations. I am guessing that i need to use a different program but how do i know which "Xwindow" program is installed on the server i want to connect to or does it matter?

Note - I do not have admin access on the server so cannot install anything.

Thanks

Probably none. You do not need an Xserver installed on your server, only on your client. An Xserver is a sort-of driver software for your graphics hardware and you need that only where you have such a hardware. XMing is such an Xserver software.

Then set it! On the shell prompt enter:

# export DISPLAY=<IP-address of your client>:0.0

Then try to start an Xclient (like "xterm"). You might have to allow the sever in question to display a window on your Xserver (in UNIX there is the "xhost" tool to do so, what XMing uses instead i do not know). Issue:

# xterm &

And see if this opens a window on your screen. If everything works you can put the line with the DISPLAY variable setting into your profile or your shells rc-file (for you: kind of AUTOEXEC.BAT-analogon on UNIX) so that you do not have to enter the line for every new session.

I hope this helps.

bakunin

I set the DISPLAY property and tried the xterm & but got the following error

No protocol specified
xterm Xt error: Can't open display: 10.44.10.92:0.0

I am trying to google what the above error means.

Thanks

I have already told you what to do. To quote from my own posting:

I hope this helps.

bakunin

Yes, it does matter a lot. Your X server might only listen to localhost so setting the DISPLAY variable on the remote host won't work.

What you might try is to locate an X terminal emulator on the server that fails (eg. xterm) and launch it instead of a full desktop in the .bat file:

run plink -ssh -X %REMOTE_HOST% /usr/bin/xterm

or even run directly the application you look for:

run plink -ssh -X %REMOTE_HOST% /usr/java/jdk1.7.0_67/bin/jvisualvm

ITYM

run plink -ssh -X %REMOTE_HOST% /usr/java/jdk1.7.0_67/bin/jvisualvm

--
What OS do the two boxes run?
Find out in putty with command

uname -sr