Which Unix for Fileserving with NTFS partitions as one sole purpose use?

I have a distant history with Dos based systems so I'm not overwhelmed, but my Unix experience is entirely limited to hacking my Tivo.

So I'm kindly requesting a pointer in the right direction specifically asking which Linux would best suit my needs...

What I want to do
I wish to use an old Dell XPS-T450 Pentium 3 PC with 512MB Ram as a file server for my music, and possibly my movies for a multi-room distribution.

Ideally I'd like to be able to install 3 large x NTFS partioned hard drives and a smaller Linux boot hard drive.

The sole purpose of this machine is to stream media files via a 100MB Full Duplex Wired NIC to other Windows XP PCs and SliMP3 devices around my home.

I'm overwhelmed by the number of different Linux types available, could anyone suggest....

Which linux, hopefully freely downloadable and minimalist, linux distribution would be best for streaming fileserving purposes?

Many thanks in advance for any help,

Mark Ward.

Searched some more but still none the wiser as to which to go for.

Due to a sort out of my spare hardware I thought I'd add some more info.

I'll now be using an Athlon 2400+ & 512Mb of PC3200 Memory which I'll buy a mobo and Gfx card for that has good Linux support. Would now like support for USB2, Firewire, Gb Lan (and 100Mb Lan on a separate port). I also have a RocketRaid Controller which I intend to use.

A degree of auto detection within the distribution installer would be nice, and the ability to automatically recognise any additional NTFS partitioned drives I install later.

Is this possible?

The thing I REALLY need to know is WHICH linux to start with.

A big thanks for the name of the distribution I should be installing.

Mark.

Found what I need in a thread on the Unix beginners Forum.

Downloading Fedora as I type, also downloading ClarkConnect which has also been suggested to me.

If these are the wrong way to go please say soon as they are HUGE downloads!

Mark.

Hi
Fedora has a low level of stability;
If you want a more stable distribution you can use
"Libranet GNU/Linux"
Its a disto built on the base of debian sarge and has a high stability;
But if you have a high speed connection to internet I prefer
you to download the debian sarge after 15 september.
That distro has 14 CD`s but is new stable and fastest
distribution yet;
Good Luck

HamidNassiby, if you have a link to this distro, could you post it please? Thanks.

Just to confuse you even more i'd like to chime in and suggest Slackware. :slight_smile:
It's fast and simple and has very few distro specific quirks, perfect for a file shifter.

Thanks for the suggestions...Seems like everyone has their own favourite, though I bet they'll all do the simple tasks I need.

I installed ClarkConnect on the suggestion of a friend which had a super easy wizard at the front end and recognised all my hardware correctly, however under the "stand-alone" option I chose I couldn't fingure out how to get a bash promt, let alone filesharing & samba. All I get is the DNS config screen, even the Help command doesn't work, apparantly I don't have permission.."Directory Broswing is not allowed!"

I chose stand-alone as I didn't really want any internet bits installed, no proxy, smtp, ftp, http servers etc. Just a box to load up with files that my XP PCs and SliMP3 devices can read.

I have been downloading Fedora, but low-level of stability doesn't sound like my thing so I'll get SUSE instead, apparantly the latest build is quite recent and has some modern touches.

I undertood from my research so far that Slackware is great if you know what you're doing, but less than ideal for the beginner. Is this the case? I'm definitely a beginner, less than 4 hours total Linux experience.

Also, I think I've mis-understood what SAMBA is, I thought it enabled you to install NTFS partitioned drives in your Linux machine and have them served to the network. Having read a bit further I now think that it merely allows Linux volumes to be seen as if they are NTFS partitioned drives. Is this correct?

If so, how straight forward is it to add another HDD everytime the current one gets full? I'm wondering whether I should maybe give up on Linux, but then I'm enjoying the learning experience so I'll persevere a little longer.

Thanks again,

Mark.

heh id hate to add more confusion to the mess, but SUSE linux really is (imo of course) one of THE best, easiest to use linux distros out there.

it is making bounds and leaps ahead with each new release.

Hello again

1. I must remember you that SuSE linux is a very usefull distro
    for beginners an professionals;
    But for a busy server you must use debian or if you really want to use one of SuSE products I suggest
    "Suse Linux Enterprise server "or
    "SuSE linux open exchange server "
    but the latter is better.
  2. And the link of Libranet download mirrors is:
    http://www.libranet.com/download.html
  3. If you want to add another H.d.D with ntfs file system
    simply you must edit your "/etc/fstab" and your new H.D.D
    will be recognised just after your first reboot.If you dont want to reboot the server you simply can mount new device using
    " mount /dev/hdx /mnt/newhdd " command as root;where "x"
    will be one of alphabets between a-z ;If you have one hdd
    and your new device is second you must type "hdb" and if you have two hdd`s and the new device is third you must type "hdc" and so go on;
    4.http://www.debian.org The home site of debian project
    Good Luck;

I just checked out that Libranet website, the screen shots do show a very nice windows-like interface. Does SUSE have anything like that?

I'm downloading SUSE personal edition at home right now while I'm at work, and will definitely also try out Libranet.

I'm sure I'll end up sticking with the first one I get working for my simple purpose though.

BTW> Can you in anyway "RemoteDesktop" into these graphical interfaces? I intended to store the Linux Server in a ventilated cupboard and would really like to be able to access it from an XP PC elsewhere in my home.

OK, that's so similar to my TiVo that I'm really comfortable with it, I take it the "mount" line will be what I put in my "/etc/fstab" folder? Going to look at local evening classes on Linux/Unix BTW, as I don't know anyone with any knowledge what-so-ever. My wife thinks I'm mad spending hours onthis, but it's strangely a lot of fun.

Mark.

I must agree with Norsk above.... I am a long time SUSE user. I've used other distros (Red Hat, Slackware, Debian, Fedora, Xandros) and some of the BSD's.

Nothing (IMHO) does it as well as SUSE - it's stable, secure, feature rich, easy to configure (also allowing total freedom to go as deep as you wish) and highly customisable.

I should join the SuSE sales team :smiley:

Cheers
ZB aka ZazzySUSE

you and me both! i love suse, have used netbsd, turbo linux and some other varied variants and none have pleased me more than suse.

yes it does. right out of the box the KDE setup is easy to use. (cant comment on gnome as i dont use it)

and about suse not being good for a busy server, thats just bull. you can configure the system however you want, and itll run flawlessly.

joe@farragutmarine:/home/joe
$> uptime
  7:43pm  up 203 days,  1:17,  2 users,  load average: 8.08, 8.02, 8.01
joe@farragutmarine:/home/joe
$> 

thats my email, web, ssh and other services server.

and it DOES carry a little bit of a load average. its not like a system thats flat zero all day.

that is running suse 8.1, on my desktop i am running 8.2 and will soon upgrade to 9. whatever it is now as soon as i have some more time for computers.

Thanks again,

I'm installing Sue 9.1 Pro as I type, from th einstaller everything appears straight forward and very well presented.

I checked a poll that showed 44% of those who took part use SUSE so that has to be the obvious start point.

I've found another identical old PC at work and am going to install Fedora on that as I have the CDs and am curious to see what the difference are.

SUSE it is for now,

Many thanks for the input, I have to say without your expert advice I'd have tried Mandrake & Red Hat and chosen between the 2.

I'm off work this morning so plenty of time to play!:slight_smile:

Mark.

I downloaded and installed SUSE Pro 9.1 last night, smallish (28MB) installer than goes and gets around 1.2Gb of data from an FTP site.

What a pleasure it is. The install was very easy, kept me informed what was happening all the way through.

Everything about SUSE appear to be incredibly logical so you don't feel uncomfortable with anything.

I've configure Samba and it's fully visible on my network, I just need to work out how to set up local network "public" access to drirectories on the data drives.

Adding extra HDDs is also very simple. just add the disk and YaST finds it and gives you a very easy interface to tell it what you want it to do.

I'm currently going to take some advice I've read here and elsewhere and format them as unix partitions rather than using NTFS.

This has so far been a very positive experience:D

Mark.