Which tool is best tfor practicing Datastage?

I am new to unix.
I started learning unix. Where can we practice unix commands.
Is there any free online tools are available? or Is there any free software ?

First, which UNIX? They're not all the same.

Once you decide, a good way to try it out may be by booting a livecd in your computer -- it will run in memory without altering your hard drive. You could also boot it in something like virtualpc, or even do a full install there.

Hey! thanks

I am learning Shell script.(SSH)
I have Windows vista O/S on my laptop.

Okay.

The question still stands. Which UNIX?

With little knowledge I can say AIX.

AIX is an expensive commercial UNIX which only runs on special IBM server computers. It won't run on a consumer PC, and certainly won't run in Windows. Unless you've been told to learn AIX this is kind of a difficult place to begin.

If you're not sure where to begin, you could try downloading a Linux livecd -- Knoppix is popular -- to burn to CDROM and boot on your laptop. This allows you to run a Linux environment without actually installing Linux on your computer. Linux technically is not UNIX but shares the same concepts, structure, and programming languages in common.

Thanks for information..

I just need to practice shell script.
I heard that there are some online free tools available to practice.
May be I am wrong. I didn't give the correct information.

Thank you for your patience and response.

if you need is 'scripting', I'd start with the simple Cygwin (http://cygwin.com/) under Windows.

I am using Datastage(Datawarehouse) tool. where I need to use shell script for jobs execution and deletion etc.

---------- Post updated at 05:33 PM ---------- Previous update was at 05:32 PM ----------

@vgersh99

I tried it. but it showing bash script. My shell script is not working there.

what shell interpreter your script is written in? (ksh?)
what exactly not working?
you can get ksh (if that's the innterpreter you script is written in) for cygwin as well....

Bash is a Bourne-compatible shell.

In what way is it "not working"?

For example:
You can see the commands I need to use in this page.

DEV'S DATASTAGE TUTORIAL,GUIDES,TRAINING AND ONLINE HELP 4 U. UNIX, ETL, DATABASE RELATED SOLUTIONS: Unlock Datastage Jobs using Commands

These are DS specific commands - it's got nothing to do with practicing shell scripting.
So I'm not sure what your objective here is....
Sorry...

1 Like

BASH is BASH, Datastage is Datastage. To run Datastage commands in BASH, you must have Datastage. If you don't have Datastage, BASH will not be able to find Datastage, and Datastage will not run. This isn't a flaw or fault in your shell.

Datastage is an IBM product. It probably requires -- or possibly comes with -- AIX, like you originally thought. So: You are not looking for shell scripting training, you're looking for very specialized AIX training. This is beyond my scope of experience. I will move this to the AIX forum and wish you better luck there. It's likely that you're going to be running commands through a terminal, logging into someone else's AIX machine remotely.

You might find general shell scripting experience useful, by the way, rather than jumping into the deep end by learning how one particular application works inside it.

1 Like

Ok. I got it. Thanks