Which C++ book do you recommend?

Hello,

May be my post may look naive to many...but it isn't if you were to believe me.After, trying to learn programming in C for at least 5 years , I concluded that K & R is the best book to learn C, alas I took a lot of time to realize this.

So, I'm going to start learning how to program in C++(I'm not good at C) so which book do you recommend me? The book should get me start programming in C as fast as possible plus shouldn't be bulky, and should be simple.I know books with such characteristics are rare but if you know any please name them.

Thank you.

It depends a little bit on your source system, is it safe to assume you have gcc? The best way to start learning is to work through some online examples.
If you must, then the following books will prove indispensable as a reference:

• C++ Primer by Stanley B. Lippman
  • The C++ Programming Language: Special Edition by Bjarne Stroustrup
1 Like

I frequently see confusion from learning C++ without learning enough of the underlying things in C. Many strange things in C++ remained mysterious to me until I followed a C course at college, which used the textbook 'a first book of ansi C', probably the third edition. It's a lovely book and I wish I hadn't given my copy away to a friend who was trying to learn programming -- don't think he ever used it, and I never got it back...

1 Like

I'll suggest the C++ Primer Plus 5th edition!
I'm self-learning C++ from scratch without any knowledge of C with the book mentioned previously!

C++: The Complete Reference, 4th Edition , one of the best book about C++

Thinking in C Seminar then
Thinking in C++

Both of them are free !

A book "C++ programming" by robert lafore is a good one.

"C++ How to program, 8th Edition" by Deitel. It is a very bulky book infact, but it gives you alot of code. Personally, I find this book very useful!

I started off with "C++: A Beginner's Guide" by Herbert Schildt. Now I am Reading

C++ without Fear ;
C++: how to program by Deitel & Deitel.......