Where do I start as someone who desire to become skilled in UNIX and C?

Hi, for some time now I have been away. Things got so though I had to get a job. Whilst on the job i never felt free to do the thing i truly desired. Its like two masters trying to get my attention. One had to go for the other. To sum up i quit my job and i felt that was the best decision i ever took because now i can focus on programming and giving back to the community. I could not do both at the same time.

My plea is for some words of advice from those who have being in my shoe. what did you do and how did you get to your current level of competence in the craft of system administration and programming.

Also i will love to have a coding pall that is of same skills level that we both could grow and share our experience. I am a pure beginner. I have being on and off on this site for a while.

If this post is not for this section please admin kindly help put it in the write category. Thank you.

Well you could read books and take courses but, for me, there is no substitute for getting your own box (x86 hardware) and loading up different Operating Systems (a variety of Linux distributions and real production O/S's like Solaris, AIX, etc) and downloading their administration manuals. You can download all this stuff for free! Try things out for yourself. Admin tasks like setting up new users, security, etc. Backup and restore. Write a few of your own scripts.

Then, when you get stuck on something, get on here and ask us all the question (giving us the full description/context of the problem of course).

1 Like

Hi.

A hands-on book:

Title: Unix Programming Environment 
Author: Brian W. Kernighan, Rob Pike 
Edition: 
Date: 1984
Publisher: Prentice Hall 
ISBN: 013937681X
Pages: 357
Categories: programming, development, software engineering
Comments: 4.5 stars (64 reviews, 2017.09) at Amazon

Still in print after all these years. From $2 (used) to $50 (new): Amazon.com: Unix Programming Environment

Then move on to other books as suggested.

Best wishes ... cheers, drl

1 Like

Thanks guys for you sincere advice. Its being taking. Thanks.

Very solid advice. I wish I started this way.