Where are people landing on the sytemd debate?

My two primary distros are Gentoo and Debian and I'm a fan of the older more traditional init system but as we all know Debian is moving to systemd. Not sure how impartial the crowd is here but I'd like to hear people's opinions.

Everyone knows that systemd is going to replace sysvinit, but it doesn't look like it's going to end there.

Processes being swallowed up by systemd:

• sysvinit
  • start-stop-daemon
  • initscripts
  • inetd
  • atd
  • readahead
  • console-kit
  • syslog
  • watchdog
  • acpid
  • autofs
  • pm-utils
  • udev
  • cryptsetup
  • ... and more to come

Furthermore, when all is said and done, it looks like systemd wants to become the core on which all linux distros will be built ...

I'm OK with uniformity and standardization, but I'm no sysadmin. Those poor (s)hes are going to have to burn their books and start over.

I would rather stay with something that adheres to the POSIX way of doing things. Binary logs? I don't understand the need.

The same guy wrote pulse audio as well which is one of my pet hates.

1 Like

As far as I know people are either "for" systemd, or "against" systemd.

:slight_smile:

Systemd is a highly specialized and somewhat limited approach at solving problems that had previously not been handled with things like sysvinit, upstart, etc. The implementation in many ways is like somebody telling you that he's solved all of your programming problems with the most complete set of Visual Basic code you've ever seen.

My guess is that systemd will be replaced by something better in less than 5 years (that replacement could be "son of systemd", much like grub2 vs grub1). And of course, there will be much complaining/rejoicing....

Ahh, that there will be :slight_smile:

It's definitely caused quite the ruckus. I'm very interested in seeing how projects like the Devuan fork of Debian go.