What's your most useful shell?

What's your most useful shell?

• /bin/sh
  • /bin/csh
  • /bin/ksh
  • /bin/tcsh
  • /bin/bash
2 Likes

ksh, because of its vi-cmdline editing mode, its reliable and stable job control (whoever had to deal with csh knows what i mean) and it's great programming language.

bakunin

1 Like

Zsh (which is somewhat related to Ksh) for interactive use is the most powerfull shell and usefull shell in that mode. I use sh and bash for shell scripting. I don't use zsh for shell scripting.

--xiddaux

P.S I'm not going to place a vote on this thread for obvious reasons. :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

I use bash for everything.

1 Like

Hi Bakunin,

I am using csh and tcsh too. Could you please tell me that how ksh for vi command line edit mode is reliable, stable job control and is great programming language.

Thank you.

and sometimes tcsh

Hi TLogine,

I said, *my* reasons for preferring the Korn shell are:

1) a stable job control: it is reliable (and predictable) to create, handle and remove daughter processes (unlike in csh, IMHO), there is a coprocess facility (which the csh lacks);

2) a grat programming language: Korn shell has a very good, versatile and elegant programming (script) language built in, which I find in every respect better than the csh scripting language.

3) the vi cmdline editing mode: in Korn shell it is possible to switch to a vi-like way of dealing with the command history and repeat/modify commands. I like this behaviour much better than the (again: IMHO) rather clumsy "!" and "!!", ... the csh features.

If you feel better with the csh (or any other shell): great, I have no problems with that. Still, I would like to point out, that I would greatly appreciate you having equally no problems with *my* decision about *my* working environments. Thanks.

bakunin

Hi Bakunin,

Thanks for your reply. I just asked that questions for knowledge sharing only not for argument!
Please share your technical knowledge with us!

Thank you.

agree with bakunin.
ksh is the best .

Funny, I use bash for almost exactly the same reasons a lot of people here use ksh. I like being able to quickly switch between emacs and vi-style modes (I use emacs for everyday stuff and vi for editing big multiline stuctures). Bash also has some really nice expansion features like being able to say "mkdir directory{0..9}" and create ten directories.

I'm sure all of what I'm describing can also be done easily with ksh as well -- it's just a matter of what syntax I'm comfy with.

I use ksh for everthing

Shoot, there's other shells than bash?

ksh ksh ksh :slight_smile:
well i believe the vi commandline feature is not just for ksh
you can have it for bash(or probably other shells too) by using command 'set -o vi'
offcourse thats not "my" reason for preferring ksh. Have been using it long and am more comfortable with it than other shells.

I use csh as my daily job's shell, while ksh is used in my shell script because it compatible with sh and has array feature.

Been using bash and ksh, well since I started mucking about with Linux/Unix. When scripting, I call /bin/ksh which works on all of the Unix environments I work in (AIX, Solaris, Linux).

Carl

ksh because it works on every posix compliant Unix. I have run ksh scripts *without* modification on Solaris, HP-UX, AIX, Linux (many), Irix, etc.

ksh

regards
abhijeet

Its ksh for me!

ksh++;

I use csh too but I find it a little clumsy.

its /bin/bash