What's the difference between VIOS and LPAR?

Hi All,

Besides the licenses on VIO and LPAR. What's the main difference with the two? I have installed VIO, my manager told me so, because it's like a free hypervisor but I never installed LPAR before. How do you install it? And if you can give more info on the two, that would be great.

Thanks and more power.

Hi
i dont understand your request
whar does you mean
licenses managment or the implement of LPAR VIO ?

bye

HMC/LPAR license is not free and VIO is almost free but limited in functionality. Ahh I found a video topic with it, i'll post/summarize it here once i've seen it.

Thanks.

Hi Itik,

Lpars are virtual systems created on POWER systems from IBM. Lpars run their own OS and run independently from other LPARs on the same iron.

A vios is a lpar with a dedicated task: providing virtual storage devices to other LPARs. Depending on your needs you will install at least 1 vios and multiple lpars. Actual applications should normaliter be run in a lpar and not the vios.

Lpars are installed with a system called HMC.

--Peter

When the LPAR build is started a choice is presented to either build an LPAR or a VIO server. The VIO server presents virtual devices to other LPARs contained in the same Power series frame. The virtual devices presented are virtual Shared Ethernet Adapters (SEA); virtual SCSI adapters; and virtual Fibre adapters (NPIV). In a single Power system it would be bad practice to have only 1 VIO server. The VIO setup is all about resilience with each VIO server supplying failover capability to client LPARS.

The VIO server uses a subset of AIX and the VIO user (padmin) runs in a restricted shell and has a different command set. The VIO server should not be considered as another LPAR, it is a VIO server!

Building a VIO server can be done either by the Graphical User Interface on the Hardware Management Console (HMC) or running a script in an SSH session on the same HMC.

I hope this helps somewhat.

I think this should probably read:

APV / Power VM license is not free and IVM is almost free but limited in functionality.

Depending on your level of understanding this could be tricky to explain.

Here is a good starting point:
PowerVM QuickStart

1 Like