What shell does Fedora use?

Hey guys. It's Orszhak. I am switching from Windows to Linux Fedora and since I was going to switch soon I figured I'd get to know my command shell and its commands and programming with it. Therefore I need to understand its shell so I could start studying and get the proper information. Anyways thanks!:slight_smile:

I cannot say for certain, but it seems that nearly all linux distributions use gnu bash as the default interactive user shell (even if some of them use a more efficient sh to run their boot scripts).

Regards,
Alister

Thanks man! So Bash shell if I am correct?

I use Fedora 13 and my default shell is Bash 4.1

Just because it's the default doesn't mean you have to use it.

In fact, you would be better off learning what is standard, than just limiting yourself to "bash".

I thinks standards are overrated from a user point of view. We just want things to work.

Some of us are still learning the default bash, let alone trying to learn ksh, or zsh, or on an extreme example, 'Posix compliance' I'm not a programmer, just a user.

I know we don't HAVE to use use it, but you should give us (beginners) a learning curve until we can meet your 'standards'.

Sometimes I feel like the standards are so backward compatible, that there is no room for upgrades. I mean when are we going to get rid of MS.IE-6.0 standards?

Why do some programmers still try to be compliant with 1998 standards, move forward already.

Look, I'm not trying to start a flame war, I'm just saying that not everybody is a sys-admin, some of us are just users trying to manage our machine.

So, in retrospect, standards are not always important to the end user, as long as it works.

Okay, what is "standard" then. I would like to know. :rolleyes:

In the GNU/Linux realm, GNU BASH is the defacto standard.

If at some point you begin to care about writing scripts that are portable across different posix-like sh implementations, then you'll need to study the posix standard's sh documentation, look at potential target environments and see what they support, etc. It's something you'll pick up with time and necessity.

If you're just starting out with shell scripting, I recommend that you not concern yourself with portability. If Linux is your chosen platform, learn to use BASH well. It'll serve you best. Besides, the vast majority of what you'll learn is posix-compatible syntax and features anyway.

Regards,
Alister

Whoa! I was merely suggesting that <<because bash is the default>> you don't have to use it.

Perhaps "portable" instead of "standard" would have been a better choice of word?

It seems I dug myself into a hole here... :slight_smile: