What is your favorite Linux distro?

slackware is my favourite distro, simple, clean, stable, and nice. :smiley:
If/when i have more time i make a LFS, but I dont have time for that nowadays

Ubuntu of course... using Ubuntu Edgy Eft 6.10 with AIGLX/Compiz... its just awesome.

Like someone else said it all depends on what you want to do. I voted for RedHat/Fedora since I am mainly using Fedora Core 6 with Parallels (http://www.parallels.com) on my XP laptop and MacBook black. I also use and like Ubuntu (which is Debian underneath) very much. I also recently installed Debian in it's non-Ubuntized state. All these I have running under Parallels, which still has a lot of work ahead of them, but it's nice to be able to use the same virtual hard drive file on a Mac or a PC.

Damn Small Linux sure is a fun distro. Weighing in at just around 50MB. http://www.damnsmalllinux.org/

I got my feet wet with Yellow Dog Linux for PowerPC. I think they put that dog to sleep though.

I don't understand this remark. Yellow Dog appears to be alive and well.

My bad. I should have clarified that I meant since Apple switched from PowerPC to Intel, Terrasoft no longer has YDL for Intel-based Apple hardware. But that may have been a blessing in disguise according to some articles. Terrasoft does have a healthy offering of products and services, the latest being Yellow Dog Linux for PLAYSTATION�3 : http://www.terrasoftsolutions.com/

Redhat / Fedora - simply because I got involved with Linux with Redhat 5 when SCO decided to start charging for their OS on a user licence basis. When RH8 was released I bit the bullet and moved my clients servers over and have never looked back. I now have a mix of RHE and Fedora 3 thru 5 out there and a client base that is rapidly moving to Linux on the desktop as well.

I should add that another local S/W shop went with SUSE at about the same time and are as happy with their decision as I am with mine.

So different strokes for different folks and we seem to stick with what we are familiar with.

I use gentoo on my desktop pc at work and slackware on my sony vaio

both are great, I also tried debian and ubuntu several times, but I've always destroyed the package system :slight_smile:

I cannot recommend gentoo for older systems, it took me two days to compile gnome + X on a pentium3 500

I use Ubuntu on my newly built deaktop and on my Thinkpad X24.
I use OS X 10.4 on my 2 PowerMacs (PPC) and on my 2 PowerBooks.

Me too. I remember using Mandrake... it was so outraged that I'd upgraded my kernel without permission that it refused to install anything ever again. Gentoo didn't miss a beat.

I have been a slackware user, since 1992.

This does not mean slackware is "better or worse" it is simple what I have used for nearly 15 years, LOL.

I recomend Debian, becouse it's distro who coding a lot of volunteers. And deb is friendly for user :slight_smile:

regards

Mandrivalinux for me

For me, anything with the Debian packaging system will do. I have been using Debian for quite some time now (still a newbie though :D), and I'm quite impressed with its improvements. I also give credit to DSL, that Darn Small Penguin really works wonders. DSL rocks! I use it as a troubleshooting tool when I fix Windoze PCs. It helps in determining whether PC problems are hardware-based or software-based. I have also tried and install Solaris, FreeBSD, and Red Hat but I kinda discontinued it because I had difficulties installing it :(. But I still plan on continuing to try and use them :). For me, what is important is the flexibility of the kernel, a packging system that I can use well, and a good hardware/software interface that maximizes the potential of the system. :smiley:

aEtherv0id
Windoze XP / Debian GNU/Linux Dual Boot
AMD Duron 700 MHz
256 MB RAM

Can anybody tell what exact Fedora is used for other than 'general' & 'desktop usage.

Is Solaris good?

I want a unix/linux OS that can teach me everything about linux and it must be the most compatible OS out there, because I'm going to buy some unix/linux books and I currently have Xubuntu 6.10 Edgy installed but I'm curious that the books I buy and the functions/commands in those books & the teachings would working with Xubuntu.

Thank you very much

(Sorry for my English, I can't write full sentenced and all clear writing)

I use Ubuntu and/or Kubuntu when I use GNU/Linux. I have Beryl too wherever I can, I find I'm more productive with it.

Hi All,

Am just a beginer in Linux.I voted for RedHat,which is my first linux distro.(Though i was quite impressed with Suse)

I have tried to use Debian on my desktop but i have never been able to get to the GUI level it all ends up in command mode.

May be once the poll result arrives i would try the other top distro's

Thanks
Nagarajan Ganesan.

I really like Arch Linux! I think that is my favorite, but when I'm feeling lazy I pop in Ubuntu because the installation is easier :).

SuSe Because you can find a lot of programs in there and Red Hat i suggest

I've been Slackin' it for a while and intend to keep on Slacking while my favor of other distros waxes and wanes.

Slack ever Slack

I begin using RedHat 9 a long time ago, so i tried ubuntu, debian and FreeBSD
so mine friend showed me Slackware aaah love :rolleyes: