What is the purpose of Bind on Solaris 10?

I'm new to Solaris and Linux and I was wondering if someone could explain to me in simple terms what the process Bind is on Solaris 10? Thanks, in advance.

bind is the Berkeley Internet name daemon, it is the most popular DNS server in use on Unix servers. It associates IP addresses with hostnames, thereby enabling network connectivity.

1 Like

So if my server is running ldap or another naming service then what is the point of having Bind on my system?

LDAP isn't a naming service, it's basically an information store. They provide completely different services, and often you need a DNS server to resolve what IP has to be contacted for the LDAP service.

We don't use dns servers to resolve hostname to ip addresses, so I don't see the purpose of having bind on a machine just to have bind unless bind is absolutely for the operation of the OS. Is Bind absolutely needed for the operation of the OS?

If you know for a fact your machine shouldn't be serving DNS, I suppose you don't need it.

Beware that there is at least another service named bind under Solaris: svc:/network/rpc/bind.
It is unrelated with the DNS and is a remote procedure call service mainly used by NFS.