What is the best way to copy data from place to another place?

Dear Gurus,

I need you to advice or suggestion about the best solution to copy data around 200-300G from serverA\(location A\) to serverB\(location B\). Normally, I will share folder and then copy but it takes too long time\(about 2 days\).

Do you have any suggestion or which way should be better?

PS. I tried to backup to LTO tape and restored but it takes too long time(about 2days) also :frowning:

It won't go faster than what the lower bandwidth component in the chain is allowing.

You need first to identify what is limiting it to 300GB/2days, i.e. 1.7 MB/s (~14 Mbps).

a NFS share over ethernet should be much faster...

I assume location A and location B aren't on the same LAN.

Just in case - are you copying data that may not need to be copied? Are you aware of rsync and specifically aware of its ability to transfer and update those parts of a file that have changed rather than re-shipping the entire file?

The Rsync Algorithm

From my exsperience firsrt compress all data in tar.bz and then transfer to another disk over network of course over SSH

Depending on the data to be transfered, that approach might have the opposite effect of reducing the whole process performance.

thank you for all of your reply

Location A\(production:solaris 9\) and location B\(development: solaris 10\) isn't the same LAN and data that I want to copy is ORACLE database so data is always updated then data is difference too much. Someone suggest me to 
  1. tar+zip first and then use cp through network

2. tar and extract it through network directly

I am not sure which way will be better or another way will be so I need to ask all of you to get new idea. Thank you for your help

I think you may be missing out on some good suggestions.

Instead of you telling what you think should be done, tell us what you have been asked to do - exactly. Not how to do it.
cp a file is how to do it.

Copying live database data is doomed. You need to put your database in a quiet state then take a snapshot, then mirror that snapshot to the remote location. This is usually done by using storage arrays replication features (eg: ShadowImage/TrueCopy with HDS).