What do you use to wipe your disks?

What are y'all using to wipe your solaris disks?

I am being question by IT Security, what I am using to wipe disk.

Is anyone using a 3rd party utility?

I have used the format utility in solaris previously.

But they are looking for something commercial that I can use.

Anyone have 3rd party scrubbing software, must have support for Sun Hardware, and Sun Storedge disk arrays. no x86.

And is there any newer documentation out there other than the 6 year old blueprint for disk scrubbing in Solaris?

My company uses the "6 year old blueprint for disk scrubbing in Solaris".

Well you can use format command with analyze it will wipe the harddisk nice.

Firstly - before you wipe the data off or drill thru your old disk you have to understand the following.

Sun claims warranty from hardisk manufacturer, if your disk crashes sun engineers comes in or your vendor comes in to do a replacement but they have instructions to take back your old disks so that they can claim warranty from sun who in turn will go back to the disk manufacturer and claim warranty from them. So in other words you need to return the disk to sun.

The good news is, it is possible to "own" the disk but arrangement has to be made with sun that when a disk crashes they bring in a replacement but not take back the crashed disk but you need to inform your vendor or Sun that your site has such a security policy.

the bad news is I think there is some fees involved from your side to "buy" back your old disks.

Previously I worked in a organisation where we drilled thru any disk that crashed so we had to buy back our disks. I'm not sure if you wiped the disks you still have to pay or not.

And let them take the disks back :wink: