What do you use on your linux servers?

What do you use on your linux servers?
What distributions?

I've voted for Red Hat, but it's not "aka Fedora Core", those are two different projects. I'm sure that Debian will win though.

I voted for Gentoo, but keep in mind that our requirements are unusual. We're building in-house software, and Gentoo is the platform for developers.

I use Ubuntu on my home server.

you are right. Just didn't want to write Red Hat and fedora as two different paragraphs

so, they have the same developers, as I understand :wink:

hm...and what does it mean?

p.s. And if you write Red Hat ,for example, please write why you choosed it?
what advantages to other distributions does it have?

May I inquire why you felt that a second Linux distro poll was needed?

It is possible for developers to develop 2 very different pieces of software. :smiley:
In this case there is some relation... FC is more like an experimental unsupported pre-alpha release of RH.

and where was the first? :eek:

and is RH still develop? i thought, it has "died" at all...)

It means we're writing software, not just using it.

DCrystal, please review our rules and note rule 5 which is the only underlined rule:
(5) Search the forums database with your keywords before asking.

There is a link to our search engine on every page. Try putting in "linux distro poll" and you will find it. Other people have found it over 2000 times.

And yes, Red Hat is still developed, but you need to use precise terminology. Red Hat Linux is no longer developed. It split into two distros: Fedora Core and Red Hat Enterprise Linux (FC and RHEL).

RHEL 4 Update 4 was released on Aug 11, 2006
RHEL 5 is in Beta and the last beta release of it was Nov 20, 2006

RHEL 4 is based on FC 3
RHEL 5 is (will be) based on FC 6

Since this poll was created by someone not familiar with the other linux poll, I will close this poll.

i tried to search :frowning: though i didn't find anything

ok