What are these errors?

root@INTSETICADB # su - oracle
Killed
root@INTSETICADB # su - selectica
Killed

root@INTSETICADB # man prstat
Reformatting page. Please Wait...Segmentation Fault - core dumped
sys(cd /usr/man; /usr/lib/sgml/sgml2roff /usr/man/sman1m/prstat.1m > /tmp/sman_iUaW5x) fail!
aborted (sorry)

(I'm tempted to reply: those errors are indications that something is wrong.) Seriously, it would help if you would provide a clue or two. What OS? What recently happened to the system? How much other stuff is still working well?

But I'll make a blind guess. For that much stuff to be failing I would suspect either the kernel or shared libraries. If it's the kernel, a reboot might help. If it's shared libraries, it is not probable that a reboot will succeed, but you might be able to bring the box up into single user mode. I assume that the box to basicly unusable...if this is the case, I would try a reboot and see where that leaves me.

Hi Perderabo,

this is sun box running solaris 8.few days back a file system was full.
i had made space in it..but it didn't work out.

Actually,it was not FS problem...bcoz when i observed ,i found that system was running on very low memory ( hardly 200 MB real) ,so i guess only root was allowed.

I killed few sessions;brought down my databse;& re-booted machine.

now i hav almost 7GB real memory free after reboot,so its working now.

Idea of rebooting was the first to struck at my mind..but that ,i guess,could not be a solution all time.

my worry was where all memory was getting used?
bcoz most of the processes were run by root itself..( daemon etc..)

thanks for your suggestion,
regards
Abhijeet

a box just running root processes but still running very low on memory was most likely running a memory-intensive application that did not want to release the memory after it used it ... i saw this a lot with the earlier java apps ... a reboot fixes the issue every time but the correct solution is to fix the defective application ....

on the other hand, there is the possibility that this happened just because you looked east a minute ago --- a random glitch --- but only a replication of the problem can tell you that for sure ... good luck!