What about the email@unix.com idea?

I remember there was a topic about this idea long time ago. What happened to it?

hmmm... rather what /didnt/ happen to it. it would be alot of extra work for neo, i forgot exactly what he said about it though..

Here's the thread from last year: email@unix.com... so do you have a robust mail server? :slight_smile:

Aye, that is why Neo disabled autonotification of email replys last year. He was getting too many emails and charges were piling up.

You could say that Neo was a victim of his own website's success...

Yeah, but it should mean good, right? :slight_smile:

Well I don't mean to pick the argument up from where it was left, but none of us are paying fees and there aren't any ads, so neo's left footing the whole bill... we get so much more than we pay for already :wink:

Agree

BTW, we are thinking about turning email notications back on for a while. Are they really useful? Or not really necessary?

Neo

Personally, I'd probably turn the feature off. Does this feature only send a notification, or does it actually email the entire new post? Either way, I'd be logging in to this site anyway to see if there're any new threads, and even when there's a new post to an old thread, I like to look back at the entire thread. Plus, I participate on several bulletin boards for various reasons, which offer the same feature, and I prefer to just log in to each website and see what's going on instead of having everything emailed to me.

Of course, if I were new and only making one post, then it'd be convenient..

i actually like the email notification, it is convenient for me....hmm or maybe i am just lazy....

I'm for keeping it the way it is-- My email is cluttered anyway and I don't mind logging into unix.com a couple of times a day...

well the good thing about the email notifications is that they can be turned off by individual users, so only people that want them turn them on. i think it more depends on if they cause Neo trouble or not.

That's a good point.. the feature is on by default for new posters who only have one post and if those of us who come on a lot don't want all the emails, we can just shut it off.

No one's been complaining about it , but it'd be another little "nicety" of the site. I guess the only way to know, Neo, is to turn it back on for awhile and see if it's too much hassle for you to deal with.. if it is, it's not critical to the functioning of the site. :slight_smile:

If members can turn the email notification on/off by individuals, that would be a good idea. I don't know other guys, but after working/studying/playing whole day, lots people (including me :P) just have the energy to turn on their computers, just to check email. If it is not too much trouble, I wish we can use this feature. :slight_smile: