wget performance

I am looking for a way to measure performance metrics of streaming audio/video from a contecnt server, e.g. YouTube for example. Im keen to see if I can look at duration it took for contecnt to download.
I know from the output of wget's log file you can see duration a url is downloaded in.
However I need to get the duration it takes for the streaming content.
Thanks

For streaming, wget is not going to work. If you try to download a youtube page with it, it will simply download the source code of the page, the JS and the HTML, but not the video itself.
Here's a python script I use for downloading youtube videos to my workstation. You can see that it's not a simple one. I guess you should either write your own utility and work directly on the server providing the content, or look for commercial tools.

1 Like

Many Thanks Sysgate, however your python script is currently way beyond me. I was hoping there was some alternative to wget to actual download the video / audio content so I can peform some performanc eanalysis on it

Yes, it's a bit complicated, for me, too, but it works. Actually, seeing your reply, I did search with another keywords, and I found this - if it's really that simple as it claims, you can work it out.
Else, I'm out of suggestions at this point.

1 Like

unfortunately I dont have clive installed currently and actually not sure how to install. It also mentions the requirement on having Adobe Flash to view the content. I have no desire to view. I simply want to cron a script that continually streams some content and to be able to work out how slow/fast it does so.

Many thanks

A file's a file's a file. Things like Youtube and the like work real hard to obscure where the actual URL comes from, though. The only even slightly reliable way I've found to figure that out is to set up your own proxy server, configure your web browser to use it, and watch the URLs it downloads for anything relevant. And even that sometimes doesn't work because when you try and download it by hand, you won't have the same cookies, etc.

have downloaded the clive 2.2.24 but now need some advice as to how I install so if anyone wants a quick win today pls let me know. Thanks