Wget for downloading a public file (stream) as mp4

I need a hint for using wget for getting a free content from a TV station that is streaming its material for a while until it appears on any video platform, that means no use of illegal methods, because it is on air, recently published and available. But reading the manual for wget I tried the following without success.

wget  -4 -c -b -O  -no-cookies -https-only -follow-ftp /home/user/Downloads/thenameofthemovie.mp4 --header "Referrer: www.xyz.com" "https://www.xyz.com/film/category/nameofthemovie.html"

The manpage tells about the header to set it like this for instance ' to use this for quoting

wget -- header='Accept-Charset: iso-8859-2'\

Furthermore I read about the HTTPS Options to set it like the following

-secure-protocol=auto

All I get is that the download will be stored in the wget-log. So may someone can give me a hint, how to do better? My interface stays very quiet.

Or should I use the option of

-max-redirect=n

Thanks in advance. And to anticipate some hints about axel or curl, I want to try it with wget. All that comes down the line is the html file, nothing else, so I am doing wrong. The wget-log tells me in detail how the download for this html took place. But I did not get one chunk of the film.

How to download the stream depends on the stream. We can't really tell without knowing what stream.

So don't be daunted by the link, because it is not in english, sorry, but it is the correct link where I can watch the film broadcasted as a stream.

Der Staatsanwalt - Die funfte Gewalt - ZDFmediathek

And it is written like this, no special characters in this very line.
Thanks in advance for any hint that helps. For sure in about three or four months I can download a crippled version on a video platform. But maybe it works a bit better this way.

The webpage does not download the movie, which is why wget doesn't get it. Flash Player downloads the movie, in a complicated rube goldberg scheme involving javascript and cookies. Sorry.

1 Like

Okay, despite of geoblocking and all the rest, content of whatever nature turns out to be a valuable thing like spices in the 14.th century. Thanks for testing it.

Check :

GitHub - rg3/youtube-dl: Command-line program to download videos from YouTube.com and other video sites

Those monsters are handled with python well.

1 Like