Wget command help

hi,

i need help for downloading excel file from internet and convert it to text file

wget Excel Templates [Free Download]

Hi,

Could you provide more information.

• What OS?
  • What version?
  • What type of text file, could be csv or plain text or other?
  • Why not just use excel tools and export in required format?

Regards

Gull04

I don't believe that "wget" will or even can convert any files to anything. I believe, but I may be mistaken, that there is a way to do the converting with either "nano" or the "vim" programs. I'm just curious, why do you need it in a .txt format// or is it just to see if you can do it, or because that you simply want to??

hi Gull,

What OS?
Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server release 6.6 (Santiago)
What version?
Linux HOSTNAME 2.6.32-504.16.2.el6.x86_64 #1 SMP Tue Apr 21 08:37:59 PDT 2015 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux
What type of text file, could be csv or plain text or other?
Yes, csv could be better.

Why not just use excel tools and export in required format?
we have a master respository at a central place intranet. within group, people keeps updating it. I'm writing a script and pulling the report daily.

---------- Post updated at 04:22 AM ---------- Previous update was at 04:20 AM ----------

Hi Huitzilopochtli

I need it in txt file so that I can cut the columns using cut command with delimiter space or comma.

Hi,

You can certainly pull the files down using wget , but you will have to convert the file to a csv using the tools available in excel or use a specific conversion utility like the one in this thread which has been written in perl.

Regards

Gull04