Webcam on xfce?

Hey guys. I'm about as new to Linux as you can get, so bear with me please.

I installed Xubuntu on my old laptop to tinker with.. figured it would be a good use of an old machine. One thing I'd like to set up is some security with a webcam. Logitech QuickCam Pro 4000 to be exact. I went about trying to get wxCam set up and run into some problems. I unpacked the tar.gz and cd-ed to the new directory. Typed "./configure; make" like instructed here and got this in return:

It looks like to me either the compiler that came with xfce is crap or I need to install one. Please make any helpful instructions as idiot proof as possible. Thanks in advance. :slight_smile:

I don't recall clicking on the thumbs down icon... ignore that please. :slight_smile:

I removed the icon. And by the way, when a new user posts a thread with a link, it goes to the moderation queue. This is to avoid spam. I approved the thread making it visible. Just in case you were wondering.

I don't know why you got that gcc problem though. If config.log had any info, post it.

Ah, thank you. Well, here's the whole thing. I guess you'll delete it if you feel it's spam, but I don't really know what to look for. Sorry for the length.

The problem seems to be:
/usr/bin/ld: crt1.o: No such file: No such file or directory

But I have no idea why crt1.o is missing or what to tell to do to obtain it.

Looks like you need libc6-dev-i386.

I think on Ubuntu that means:

$ sudo apt-get install libc6-dev-i386.

I'll see what Google can do for me. :-/

sudo apt-get install libc6-dev

Installed just fine, but when I went to ./configure; make the wxCam

So I need wxWidgets... I found a thread on another forum pointing to SourceForge.net: Files but I don't exactly see a place to download wxWidgets. Is it packaged in wxAll?

If you are on i386 (not amd64) the package you want is simply libc6-dev ... libc6-dev-i386 is for i386 development on the amd64 platform.

Yep, that's what I installed. Still a little confused about wxWidgets and which file I want to download.

Sorry, didn't notice the thread continued on a new page ... You can get various wxWidgets packages directly from Ubuntu too; try apt-cache search wxWindows to see what's available. Off the top of my head, I'd guess you need wx2.n-headers where n is the version of wxWindows you use.

http://wxcam.sourceforge.net/ offers a download for Ubuntu, did you try that? (Also has instructions for what you need in order to build on Ubuntu.)

Just an FYI. XFCE is a desktop and does not come with, nor provide a compiler. The compiler is provided (or not) by the OS/Distribution. The desktop is a component of the operating system.

To use a poor analogy, you would not complain about the tires on a car not having an ash tray. The car would be the one with the problem, and not the tires.

Thanks mark54g. Sadly, this is the kind of help I need.

ero, I've looked on wxcam.sourceforge.net (not making a link because of how long it takes to get a post approved... not bashing the mods here) and I see it mention a binary package available for Ubuntu 7.10 (Gutsy Gibbon) and I'm not sure if this applies to me. Do all Ubuntu variants work the same here?

Oh, and I'm running Xubuntu 8.04.1 so I guess this is talking about an older version?

It should work just fine. The only difference between Ubuntu and Xubuntu is the GUI (though it's possible that some of the GTK stuff which is included with Gnome will be missing with XFCE). Try it and get back here if it doesn't work.

Ok.. so I installed wxWidgets just fine. I went back to wxCam and ./configure; make
Got a long string of normal looking responses, but at the bottom was this:

checking for pkg-config... no
checking for WXCAM... configure: error: The pkg-config script could not be found or is too old.  Make sure it
is in your PATH or set the PKG_CONFIG environment variable to the full
path to pkg-config.

Alternatively, you may set the environment variables WXCAM_CFLAGS
and WXCAM_LIBS to avoid the need to call pkg-config.
See the pkg-config man page for more details.

To get pkg-config, see <http://pkg-config.freedesktop.org/>.
See `config.log' for more details.
make: *** No targets specified and no makefile found.  Stop.

I followed the link and got sent the a wiki. They linked another site and I could not find the file there.

You can install the Ubuntu pkg-config package.

To find which package provides a particular file, try Ubuntu -- Ubuntu Packages Search (search for "packages containing bin/pkg-config" in this case).

I would still recommend you try to install the ready-made .deb they provide at wxcam.sf.net rather than try to build it yourself.

I see an option for distribution. Options are dapper, hardy, gutsy, and feisty. I've seen these names before, but never explained. Which one am I using and what are the differences?

Also, I didn't know I could use the .deb good to know. Thanks. I'll try that.

This is the sound of a forehead being slapped. Yes, I can even mess up something simple.

chesh@machina:~$ sudo dpkg -i /wxcam_1.0.1_i386.deb
[sudo] password for chesh: 
dpkg: error processing /wxcam_1.0.1_i386.deb (--install):
 cannot access archive: No such file or directory
Errors were encountered while processing:
 /wxcam_1.0.1_i386.deb
chesh@machina:~$ sudo dpkg -i wxcam_1.0.1_i386.deb
Selecting previously deselected package wxcam.
(Reading database ... 92805 files and directories currently installed.)
Unpacking wxcam (from wxcam_1.0.1_i386.deb) ...
dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of wxcam:
 wxcam depends on libmjpegtools0c2a (>= 1:1.8.0); however:
  Package libmjpegtools0c2a is not installed.
 wxcam depends on libxvidcore4 (>= 1:1.0.0-0.0); however:
  Package libxvidcore4 is not installed.
dpkg: error processing wxcam (--install):
 dependency problems - leaving unconfigured
Errors were encountered while processing:
 wxcam