Wannabe nix guru starting a new os

after much searching around there isn't a "TOSS" (True Open Source) solution, personally I did like OSS however now i believe that "so called" Free Software should be free & Free From any license restrictions

so as I feel that way I've decided to write new OS and I was thinking of basing it loosely on the Downloadable Solaris source code, or maybe someone could suggest a better base, I don't expect it will be very popular, I just happen to think that people (namely me) deserve a truly free OS

I also on hardwarefofums.com here:

http://www.hardwareforums.com/threads/oss-open-source-software-what-a-joke.38264/

a while ago so you know it's not a pie in the sky idea that will never take flight

I'm also thinking this would be a very good way to learn how nix works practically
I know this will be hard very bumpy road to travel, so i appreciate any help / advise offered

thank you very much for taking the time to read this,

thankies xxx

P.S. I also should add that I don't much care for money and people who are looking to get rich and as such I don't want to be either rich or famous, I just want an OS that is truly free & reasonably easy to port to other architectures, so I guess it could also beat Android at it's own game but that is not my intention, I suppose it possible be of use to some admins

i would also appreciate any help getting started

thankies

You are describing BSD... License restrictions = pretty much nil. You see features and even code from BSD in many, many places.

"TOSS" implies everything else is "(Fake)OSS". Pick another acronym that doesn't insult the world, I think.

If you're not writing a new kernel from scratch, you're not making a new operating system, just a new distribution.

There is some open hardware out there, but all the really complicated stuff, like video cards, blur the line between hardware and software heavily, to the point that they couldn't release source if they wanted to -- too many industry secrets. Even inside processors these days there is 'code' (microcode) that you cannot access or control.

1 Like

well BSD it is then

I''ll think about that, TBH i never even considered that, I just typed it as is was in my head

no, the kernel will be written too with an emphasis on hyper performance (well so i say now)

not really interested in specialized hardware I'm wanting more of a generic system that can be ported to other arch

BTW: thankies for the quick reply Corona

Edit:

@Corona: after thinking a while FOSS could be referred to as (Fake)OSS due to my opinion on OSS

Off Topic:

no offense & thank God for the Edit function

The kernel's job, other than managing hardware, is mostly to stay out of the way while the application programs run. In most circumstances, the kernel spends next to no time running. There's only so far you can go with a 'hyper performance kernel' to make it actually faster.

You could do some interesting things with buffering and scheduling to make it more responsive I suppose.

It's not like everyone else set out to write 'low performance' kernels, anyway.

1 Like

interesting to know, i guess i'll see how things progress, so maybe a new distro it is

very true

thankies again Corona

Like peoples, who think high ! (i really mean it - no joke - no offense )
There is nothing wrong with that but you should really know what you are doing.
Take a look at beginner mistakes in OSDEV . ( no offense - maybe you're pro. )

http://wiki.osdev.org/Beginner_Mistakes

and maybe a look over here :

http://wiki.osdev.org/Books

you should be fimiliar with most of books or subjects mentioned in that site.

osdev's forum is also a good place to ask questions, but be sure that you've read at least
the beginner section in the osdevwiki, so people don't ignore you in forum while asking questions.

and wish you a good luck :slight_smile:

1 Like

no I'm definitely not a pro (e.g. trying to figure NAT out as we speak) yes I'm a "pro" compared to some but, compared to you guys I'm a plank & a noob

i need all the luck i can get

thankies love_debian.

Off Topic:

i too love Debian, currently using Wheezy