VxVM on Solaris.

Hi,

Quick question if anyone knows this. Is there a command I can use in Veritas Volume manager on Solaris that will tell me what the name of the SAN I am connected to? We have a number of SANs so I am unsure which one my servers are connected to. Thanks.

You can check from the format command ,, I guess... It will definitely give you some clue

what do you mean with "the name of the SAN"? you could have a look at the storage, but the SAN (switches) should be transparent...

root@backup # luxadm display /dev/rdsk/c5t40d1s2
DEVICE PROPERTIES for disk: /dev/rdsk/c5t40d1s2
  Vendor:               SUN
  Product ID:           StorEdge 3510
  Revision:             421F
  Serial Num:           083D0D62C3C6
  Unformatted capacity: 307200.000 MBytes
  Write Cache:          Enabled
  Read Cache:           Enabled
    Minimum prefetch:   0x0
    Maximum prefetch:   0xffff
  Device Type:          Disk device
  Path(s):

/dev/rdsk/c5t40d1s2
  /devices/pci@1f,4000/SUNW,qlc@5/fp@0,0/ssd@w216000c0ff883d0d,1:c,raw
    LUN path port WWN:          216000c0ff883d0d
    Host controller port WWN:   210000e08b145301
    Path status:                O.K.

root@backup #

rgds

• pressy

Hi All,

Thanks for your replies. The format command will indeed give me the make of the SAN I am connected to. I need to hostname of the SAN. My servers are directly connected through fibre channel and emulex HBAs. Unfortunately the luxadm command didn't work. Any ideas. Thanks.

luxadm display /dev/vx/dsk/oradg/oralogs
Error: Could not get physical path to the device. - /dev/vx/dsk/oradg/oralogs

I suppose you can only get the device path/name. what OS are you running? Solaris , 9, or 10?

Does it exist at all ? I do have some certs and experience with Brocades as well as MDS-es but "the name of the SAN"... no I can't recall anything like this...

Have the world changed and I missed it ?

why not? :stuck_out_tongue:
technology is becoming too good ! :cool:

After a bit os self-education:

Hmmm...I can't recall a physical SAN being capable of holding any sort of own "name", however a virtual SAN (VSAN), it is a bit different. VSAN is configured with these commands

MDS(config)# vsan database
MDS(config-vsan-db)# vsan 2 name DevUat

The name has to be uniqe across all connected switches.
so there is name identifier, I then looked for tagged frame format and found
http://www.t11.org/ftp/t11/pub/fc/fs-2/03-354v0.pdf
http://www.t11.org/ftp/t11/pub/fc/fs-2/03-353v0.pdf
with the latter being more detailed.

The point is that inter-switch link does not carry information about VSAN name, only VSAN number, but this is not definitive, because VSAN name could have been exchanged during EISL estabilishement or later by quering the VSAN manager fabric-process.
Can someone put some light on (V)SAN names?

Hi All,

I'm running Solaris 9.  The Version of VxVM is 4.2.  I've inherited this system from someone else and there is no documentation for it.  We have 5 NetApp filers.  There are no volume names on the NetApp filers that even suggest it could be the two volumes mounted on the server.  

I'll just get the WWNN from the server and see which Netapp filer it is attached to. Then the fun begins trying to find out on the filer which Volumes belong to that server:)

There is a command I found that did give me the name of the filer connected to one of our Solaris 9 servers.

vxprint -htrg diskgroup.

This returned the configuration of that disk group and the hostname of the filer it was attached to. This may have been put into the configuration by the admin who set it up though as it hasn't worked on any other server.

Hi Togr. I will have a read through those documents you sent on. Thanks for your help.

Thanks.

Wouldn't the LUN serial numbers or target numbers allow you to correlate the two? The WWNs should be enough to identify the physical Filer heads you are talking to.

gwhelan,
I believe reborg is right, WWNN should allow you to find a match between host and the filer.
Try the following command on Solaris:
> cfgadm -al -o show_FCP_dev <
this will show you WWN and LUNs visible from your server.
Going Veritas afaik
> vxdisk -e list <
shows Veritas disk names and system disk names.

On the filer it's easy, try the
fcp show initiator
lun show -m
igroup show

try

luxadm should be used with raw disk

/dev/vx/rdsk/ instead of /dev/vx/dsk

but I don't have a machine to try

but anyway

try

1. luxadm -e port

it will tell you the HBAs you have

then, take the restul and do

luxadm -e dump_map <the device path you get from above command>

this will give you the WWN numbers and thus you can know which SAN exactly you're on

Hi All,

Thank you all for your help. I'm sorry for the late reply as I have been out sick:( I will try those commands and let you know if they worked. Thanks again.

Hi All,

OK.  I've managed to find out which filer I am attached to and the LUNs presented to my server.  Thanks for all your help.