Vs basic

There isn't much of a relation between 80's BASIC and today's BASIC.
A lot of languages seem similar. The BASIC I worked with was Dartmouth or VSBASIC. Now existing as ATARI BASIC. PERL and JULIA look appealing, it would be nice if there where a program like VSBASIC. 80's Nostalgia.:rolleyes::cool:

Unsure what you are looking for. However, BASIC = Beginner's All-purpose Symbolic Instruction Code. And speaking as someone who started in computers in the 70's, BASIC had many different implementations.
Suggest a Google search for run-time modules that you may be able to download and try. Each implementation was a little unique.

HI.

brandy - BBC BASIC V interpreter
bwbasic - Bywater BASIC Interpreter
gambas3 - Complete visual development environment for Gambas
mono-vbnc - Mono Visual Basic Compiler (VB.NET)
sdlbasic - BASIC interpreter for game development

available for a system like:

OS, ker|rel, machine: Linux, 3.16.0-4-amd64, x86_64
Distribution        : Debian 8.6 (jessie) 

As joeyg said, use Google and/or your repository search facility, e.g. apt-cache, yum, dnf, zypper, slackpkg , etc

Good luck ... cheers, drl

Me? I grew up with Sinclair BASIC on a ZX81 then a Spectrum

Good stuff, but GOTO caused no end of trouble until I discovered GOSUB. I even wrote exam pieces on it aged 15. How sad is that? :o

Robin

I found a basic close to what I like yabasic htp://yabasic.de
Now I can program again. Thanks I usually program for budget and construction stuff, like square feet calcs. :smiley:

Spectrum BASIC was cool for its day.
I use bwBASIC as a fun test tool and my first tastes of BASIC were......

Sharp MZ80K tape basic. This was convoluted...
Bungy keyboard Micro Professor II.
QL SuperBASIC was superb but the machine was erm, well you know... ;o)

I am moderator for David Benn's ACE Basic Compiler for the AMIGA A500 and above. The ML is all but defunct now, although occasionally we do get a new member who has acquired an ancient A500 for fun.

1 Like

Is that available? Know any better compilers. I use Basic 256. Not my cup of tea but but works. YA Basic dosen't download well. :stuck_out_tongue:

We use Indusoft VBScript at work... its basically the code behind script in all the HMIs we produce.

It could be better, but there isn't much you can't do in it that you need to do. It does a few things like bit level addressing, and you can work around limitations in the HMI package by being able to address global HMI variables by string formatting thier names and passing to a function which allows you to pretend that you have nested classes.. even though it doesn't really support that.

For instance Say I have a Control panel class CP as and I want to have Estop values in it... with fault, description and id fields, the work around is that I generate the tag names as strings to referece them in a for loop.... which you would be able to directly do with nested classes, its a much needed organizational structure that is sadly missing.

CP.ESTOP_Desc_1 ... n
CP.ESTOP_ID_1 ... n
CP.ESTOP_Fault_1 ... n

Interestingly they are intending to transition to Javascript... I'm not sure if that is a good thing or a bad thing :confused: At least the HMIs will run on Linux potentially going forward currently they are ball and chained to Windows.