VPN Issue

Hi all

I wish to connect to my works network via a vpn which they have setup. the only trouble is it is more windows friendly than unix. By this I mean connecting via windows everything is automatically setup (routes etc) - not so with linux. I am a relative newbie with respect to vpn routing so would appreciate any help.

It is my understanding that when creating a vpn tunnel the client side and server side usually end up on the same network and then u just have to add a route to see the clients behind the server (done this before)....however when I start my tunnel I connect fine but end up with a client address of 10.x.x.x and a server address 193.x.x.x so I have both ends of the tunnel on what looks like totally differnet networks. so how do i route between the two? Everything thus far has failed - not so much as a ping. I have removed the default gw (provided by my isp) and substituted for my end of the tunnel - nothing . If any of this sounds vaguely familiar to anyone I'd appreciate any pointers. I am running slackware 9 - I can offer more info if anyone has any ideas

many thanks

many thanks