vnc Issue

Dear all,

I recently installed did VNC configuration on a Solaris Server. I am using VNC E4 2 7 as my Windows client.

The issue is that every time I log into my machine and use terminal ( a few commands like df -h or any other command and then close VNC ( windows).

When I log back in , there is no output showing on my terminal on my solaris System.

How can I maintain a session using VNC ?

Regards,
Junaid

Ok I use VNC to connect to VNC running on a Solaris 10 every day at work. I need some more info. Why did you reinstall the VNC server? On many UNIX/Linux servers VNC is installed by default. All you usually need to do is start it with a command.
Example:

vncserver 

Hi

I did enable vncserver by the command( I meant installation by that.)
I am able to use VNC client on my Windows machines to login to my solaris server and view its GUI.

The problem starts here!

I login using VNC into my server.
I open Terminal window on Solaris and type a command like prstat -a . I can see its live output.

THEN I close my VNC window.

I again login to my Solaris machines and find that the terminal window is still open but there is nothing shown in it . Just the usual :

root@server#

Why cant I see my previous work ?

You are losing your session. I'm looking at our config files for VNC to see if there is a setting that you need to set.

Do me a favor, login to your Solaris sever. Do this on the terminal.

ps -ef|grep vnc

Disconnect from the VNC session and do the ps -ef|grep vnc again. Is the vnc session still running?

The first time I logged in , I got this :

noaccess 20620   541   0 19:52:44 ?           0:02 /usr/X11/bin/Xvnc -inetd -query localhost -once securitytypes=none

I logged in again and I got this :

noaccess 21718   541   2 19:58:46 ?           0:01 /usr/X11/bin/Xvnc -inetd -query localhost -once securitytypes=none

when you run the command I gave you. I was expecting something like this.

ps -ef|grep vnc
bitlord 562 831 0 Mar 8 ?   44:10 :1 -desktop SolarisServer (bitlord) -auth /home/bitlord/.Xauthority 

---------- Post updated at 10:55 AM ---------- Previous update was at 10:52 AM ----------

Try using a different user instead of root. Where I work we don't allow remote root logins.

Here is the complete output:

root@onyxas1 # ps -ef | grep -i xvnc
   alisa  4496     1   0   Feb 21 ?           0:00 Xvnc :3 -desktop onyxas1:3 (alisa) -auth /export/home/alisa/.Xauthority -geomet
noaccess    63   541   1 21:01:48 ?           0:01 /usr/X11/bin/Xvnc -inetd -query localhost -once securitytypes=none
    root   650 15457   0 21:02:34 pts/3       0:00 grep -i xvnc

and on another login;

root@onyxas1 # ps -ef | grep -i xvnc
   alisa  4496     1   0   Feb 21 ?           0:00 Xvnc :3 -desktop onyxas1:3 (alisa) -auth /export/home/alisa/.Xauthority -geomet
    root  1158 15457   0 21:03:43 pts/3       0:00 grep -i xvnc
noaccess   809   541   2 21:03:29 ?           0:01 /usr/X11/bin/Xvnc -inetd -query localhost -once securitytypes=none

Also try to login from a UNIX/Linux server. You do it this way.
vncviewer server:1
This is to see if it is a setting on your Windows client.

---------- Post updated at 11:09 AM ---------- Previous update was at 11:02 AM ----------

Is the alisa user able to keep there state?
Why does the noaccess user have a session? Kill the session that is with noaccess.
/usr/X11/bin/Xvnc -inetd -query localhost -once securitytypes=noneThe -once looks odd to me.

No , he cannot .

I killed the noaccess session but once I connected again ,
the noaccess session process started again.

Kill all vnc sessions.

vncserver -kill :#

The user noaccess is locked on our servers.

cat /etc/passwd|grep noaccess
noaccess:x:60002:60002:Noacess User:/:
sudo cat /etc/shadow|grep noaccess
noaccess:*LK*:64455:7:::::