Virtualizing Physical Machine

Hi Experts -
we have power710 (no VIOs) that is already connected to hmc and everything . I already have a Physical LPAR in there and network configured . Now I plan to delete that LPAR and then put Virtualization code (COD) to virtualize that machine by building VIO servers and stuff.Also ordered some memory dimm to increase memory from 32 GB to 128 GB. Now what conversation I have to have with the network Administrator ? Like I said it is already in the network , in a subnet , Now I want to create a SEA using the NIC, obviously I need a VLAN and stuff . What need to be change from the networking side before proceeding . I know when we brought other P7, I used network admins help during cabling , but I want to know , if that machine is already in a network as a physical server (no VLAN) what need to be changed. Thank you all in advanced .

It depends what network needs you have for all the LPARs, and if they will use separate physical network cards, or share them.

You could create a virtual interface using two physical cards, one attached to each VIO server and then share that to the AIX LPARs, but it really depends on your needs.

Can you elaborate a bit more?

Thanks,
Robin

1 Like

Thanks Robin .
So it will be using same physical card . Except that physical card will be part of the VIO server , I will be creating SEA using the Physical card. Currently the 710 has only one physical LPAR using all system resources and network is configured just like any other physical LPAR. My plan is to :
1) delete that LPAR
2) put the VIO code (COD ) , so it will have option to create VIO server
3) create VIO server
4) create SEA using physical NIC , so the future VIO client can used the same network
----
So for the item 4, question is what need to be changed from the network side, like I said 710 is currently connected to network , But for SEA , obviously we need to add VLAN and stuff, so all the client lpar can connect to network using same VLAN. What is the networking requirement for that ? Thanks again.

You have to answer the simple question: are all LPARs will be in an one network or in different networks?

If the answer is yes, one network, then you don't need to do anything else. You can configure SEA without VLAN tagging and you don't need to bother your network administrators.

If the answer is no, they will be in different networks, you have to ask yourself, in which networks they should be? Then together with your network administrators you have to determine VLAN numbers for these networks, re-configure the switch port in VLAN 802.1Q trunk mode and allow the port to access these VLANs.

1 Like

Thanks agent.kdb , Can I ask you this, even all the LPARs are in a same network , don't you still need a VLAN to configure the SEA. How do you configure SEA without VLAN tagging Or I am just dumb . I thought even for the simplest SEA you have to do the following .
$ mkvdev -sea <PHYSICAL NIC> -vadapter <VIRT Ethernet> -default <VIRT Ethernet > -defaultid <VLAN>

How are the other client LPARs will share the network without VLAN, how would create vethernet for the client LPAR?

If you plan to create several LPARs depending on the VIOS and you already went for the HMC route you most probably want not one but two VIOS. For this you need also two (physical) network adapters, one to give to each VIOS.

Expanding on agent.kgbs good explanation on the outside requirements: if you need to have LPARs in several networks you create a (virtual) bridge/switch in the VIOS and the hypervisor by using (internal) VLANs into which the virtual network adapters are put. Therefore you need to treat the physical network adapters the VIOSes operate like bridge uplinks - this is why you need to configure the trunks as agent.kgb said.

I hope this helps.

bakunin

there is a special VLAN ID 1, which means "default VLAN". Your network administrator already configured the port with one tagged VLAN (native or access VLAN). Just make everywhere in VIO configuration (VIO profile and mkvdev command, you wrote above) VLAN ID 1 and don't switch VLAN tagging in VIO profile. If you do so, your network packets will go out untagged to the network and will be tagged by the switch with the right VLAN ID.

---------- Post updated at 09:55 PM ---------- Previous update was at 09:54 PM ----------

Unfortunately it is impossible to buy 710 with split backplane configuration and the only option to have two VIOSes on it is to have 2 FC Adapters and to boot VIOS from SAN. Although I am not sure - I've never seen a virtualized 710 :wink:

1 Like

Oops, right, my bad. I have overread that 710 piece somehow.

bakunin

1 Like

Thanks agent.kdb. I did not know that, last time I was working on power 770, I was with our Network admin, he helped me do the cabling.I did the rest. Went very smooth surprisingly for a dumb guy like me .So for the client LPAR , we will create virtual Ethernet with vlan 1 also? But the IP address of the host will be limited subnet ? I wish I can have this post open when I actually do the work, so if I get in trouble , I can get answer , trust me , this blog sometime work better than IBM support. I never worked on power 710. I think I will just have one VIO server (only two SCSI hard drive , I want to have the option mirroring in case hard drive dies), use that machine for only NON - prod servers. I just downloaded redbook manual for 710. Looks like they do have virtualize option. we just ordered code and memory DIMM. We planned bump up memory from 32 GB to 128 GB. Also about to order 8 GB FC (for NPIV) because in the machine we only have 4 GB FC, any tips will be much appreciated .

for reference: Scenario: Configuring a Virtual I/O Server without VLAN tagging