Virtualization: WPAR vs LPAR

seems to be WPAR is quite easy to set up..without additional licenses..

If I don't need Linux and all my legacy and new apps are happy in AIX 7.1 (the latest OS), I could save all troubles and use WPAR.

Can someone comment on this ??

One copy of OS to maintain, so to speak..

:(:):confused:

wpars are downwards compatible to some extend - so you can run AIX 5.3 in your wpar while your underlying OS is 7.1
If you want to use lpar or wpar depends largely on your application criticality and the purpose of the system. If you need some wpar for a few days or hours to test a script, a package, some code than yeah - a wpar will do. You surely would not want to run a large production database on a wpar.

Regards
zxmaus

The latest news for WPAR is with AIX 7.1 it is possible to run an AIX 5.2 WPAR. However WPARs should not be looked as a permanent solution for a large server environment.

WPAR is IBM answer to Solaris Zones.
It is allowing you to have more lpras under installed aix 6.1 or 7.1 it is good for training or doing some tests. (hacmp does not work under wpars)

But at this moment it is to fresh technology I would never use it for production. A specially for some demanding SAP system

yes, I realize WPAR is solaris zone for container..

However, unlike AIX, all clustering software Veritas and Sun work well under container...

As of now, WPAR must run under the same version of the host version of AIX ...until AIX 7.1...

Frankly, I would try to do less maintenance by keeping one version of OS...no compelling reason to maintain multiple versions of OS..

:wall::confused::slight_smile: