VIOS LPAR Error 0518

I am trying to install AIX 5.3 on one of the LPARs through VIOS but I get this error 0518

Reference Code Selection	   

0518 (Time stamp: 12/18/12 12:10:20 AM UTC)	   
 Starting kernel (Time stamp: 12/18/12 12:10:15 AM UTC)	   
 AIX is starting. (Time stamp: 12/18/12 12:10:15 AM UTC)	   
 CA00E891 (Time stamp: 12/18/12 12:10:15 AM UTC)	   
 CA00E890 (Time stamp: 12/18/12 12:10:14 AM UTC)	   
 CA00E877 (Time stamp: 12/18/12 12:10:14 AM UTC)	   
 CA00E887 (Time stamp: 12/18/12 12:10:14 AM UTC)	   
 C8/12 12:09:54 AM UTC)	 

Details	   

Reference code:	0518	   
Description:	No description available. Consult your service documentation.	   
Time stamp (UTC):	12/18/12 12:10:20 AM	   
Word 2:	03D00000	   
Word 3:	00000000	   
Word 4:	00000000	   
Word 5:	00000000	   
Word 6:	00000000	   
Word 7:	00000000	   
Word 8:	00000000	   
Word 9:	00000000	   
FRU callout:	UNKNOWN BOOTDEV	 

Doing a little research on google, i got these results

518 Remote mount of the root and /usr filesystems failed during network
boot.

Possibilities:

1. Is this related to version of AIX 5.3 which is not recognised by VIOS ?

2. Is it related to virtual ethernet adapter ?

see:
developerWorks : AIX and UNIX : PowerVM Forum : PowerVM, VIOServer and error code 0518 ...

IBM Repairing File Systems with fsck in AIX V5 (LED 517 or 518) - United States

What are you trying to boot from? The DVD installation media or a virtual CD from the VIO server?

I am trying to boot from the physical optical media -- that is -- i have assigned the optical media CD/DVD to the LPAR Partition and it boots from the CD-ROM expect that it gets stuck at the led 0518 which is something very strange !

In the Installation and Maintenance menu, obviously you can see the DVD drive, but do you see the disks? Maybe you should check your disk assignments on the VIO servers; make sure your slot numbers line up and make sure you assigned the disks to the right vhost number.

well, i can see the virtual disk, and if i attach a bootable disk it will boot from it.

However, the problem is with installation of AIX 5.3 on virtual disk.

I have not tried assigning a physical disk and then trying it but it should work with virtual disk ?

My guess is that AIX 5.3 DVD image does not support the system you are trying to install AIX 5.3 on. AIX 5.3 can be installed on most Power7, and certainly Power6, Power5, and Power4, etc..

If you have a nim server I would suggest creating nim installation resources from the DVD - first the LPP and then update to latest service pack, and then create the SPOT.

If you do not have a nim server I recommend making one. There is an example on unix.com and one I wrote and published elsewhere (I have been asked not to put up links to my old articles so you will have to search for it IF you want to compare.) Anyway, once you have the nim server: use recommendation above.

1 Like

I will try and update here so everyone can benefit. Thanks.

By the way, I am using AIX 5.3 CDROM. I will create NIM on VIOS itself and from there let us try and see what happens.

5.3 on a CDROM - must be quite old, and I am more convinced that the boot image does not support your more modern software.

So, since CDROM - do you know which year; which oslevel the CD boots as? You could look at the requirements for the POWER server and the AIX level of the CD and know if there is any chance of the CD successfully installing.

And, Happy Holidays!

Just try from 5.3 TL 12 cd. My guess is you are using lower TL cd on power6 or power7 with latest vios.

powerAIX

Happy Holidays everyone,

Okay,

Before I created VIO LPARs , I had 5.3 ML 00 running on the machine on Hdisk0

I installed IBM PowerVM vios on Hdisk1

then created an LPAR_1 == Attachted to this LPAR_1 = HDISK0
booted from LPAR_2 = Everything works fine

Now, created another LPAR ==> LPAR_2
created a virtual disk from disk_pool
attachted the virtual_disk to LPAR_2
attachted the physical CD_ROM to LPAR_2

Booted LPAR_2 in SMS mode
selected install/boot device as CD-ROM and booted from CD-ROM which has the same AIX as HDISK0 which is 5.3 ML 00
but the error occurs

How I attached the virtual disk ?
through web http://vios_server

I cannot put dedicated vscsi because that will need physical SCSI adapters and HMC.

any suggestions ?

I cannot say what the exact problem is, but I must assume that booting via a virtual interface (which is what you are doing using IVM) is not the same as booting from a physical interface. It might have worked with VIOS 1.0 but then there was no IVM.

On POWER5 I can boot from AIX 5.3 TL7, and this should support most/all VIOS 2.2.X versions, but I would assume ML0, what we would now call TL0 will not know enough to proceed with the virtual scsi interface. Linux on Power was a headache for a long time because of issues with booting on virtual disks. Again, I am assuming, i.e., I may be wrong - but I would proceed by making lpar1 a nim server, THEN update to TL12, and nim install lpar2.

This I have been doing for years.

Happy hunting :slight_smile: