VIOS: Extend virtual disk assigned to running lpar?

Hello,

VIOS 2.2.1.4 using IVM.

I'm trying to extend a virtual disk assigned to a running lpar so that I can expand the lpar's datavg and grow some filesystems for the user.

Storage admin expanded the lun and new size was reflected in VIO right away. I then needed the storage pool to reflect the new size which I accomplished using:

chvg -chksize vgname

With storage pool showing new free space, I was looking for a command to extend the virtual disk assigned to the storage pool, which I had no luck. Instead I tried using IVM to extend the virtual disk, however I got a warning about the virtual disk assigned to a running partition.

You will either need to restart the partition after extending the size, or reconfigure the device using the partition's operating system. If you would like to proceed anyway, select the checkbox below, and select OK again. Force extend on running partition.

I'd like to attempt this without shutting down the lpar, however I can't risk a production outage either. Does anyone know the implications of using the "Force extend" option?

If you are talking about the virtual disk you assigned to LPAR, then from LPAR run

chvg -g <vgname>

I'm referring to the VIOS side. I need to get the VIO virtual disk expanded first, then from the lpar run

cfgmgr

and verify the PV size changes with

bootinfo -s hdisk*

Once those are accomplished, I can then expand the VG.

---------- Post updated at 01:35 PM ---------- Previous update was at 12:25 PM ----------

I was able to figure this out. Here are the steps for future reference.

This is for VIOS with logical volumes (virtual disks) based on storage pools.

1. Storage admin added 40gb to existing LUN.

2. Checked VIO for pv size increase

$ oem_setup_env
# bootinfo -s hdisk* 
  1. Checked VIO for vg size increase
chvg -chksize vg*
  1. Increase size of logical volume (virtual disk)
chbdsp -sp sp* -bd lv* -size 40g
Backing device size changed.
  1. Next, checked lpar for pv increase
bootinfo -s hdisk*
  1. Checked lpar vg for size
lsvg vgname
  1. Extend lpar vg
chvg -g vgname
  1. Recheck lpar vg for new size
lsvg vgname

This was all done using command line; no need to restart the lpar. I checked within IVM just for reference.

1 Like