VIO server does not show new LPAR

Hi All,

I've been trying to create a new LPAR for some days now but I can't get the VIO server to recognize the new LPAR. This is what I did:

1. On HMC create new LPAR
  2. On HMC create new virtual scsi adapter for LPAR in VIO profile
  3. On HMC add new virtual scsi adapter for LPAR with DLPAR
  4. Add new virtual scsi adapater to new LPAR profile
  5. Check if VIO server sees new LPAR (lsmap -all). It doesn't show a new LPAR.

What am I missing? Why is de output of lsmap -all not showing the new LPAR vhost?

Some output:
VIO profile:

Maximum adapters: 200

Type           Adapter ID    Connection partition   Connection adapter   Required
Server SCSI    184           newlpar                 184                 Yes

VIO DLPAR:

Maximum adapters: 200

Type           Adapter ID    Connection partition   Connection adapter   Required
Server SCSI    184           newlpar                 184                 No

LPAR profile:

Maximum adapter 200

Server SCSI    184           vio                 184                 Yes

your item # 2, did you activate this updated vio partition profile ?
confirm that the dlpar actually did add the new vhost# to vio with lsdev |grep vhost
if your hmc and vio partition cannot communicate via a variety of ports then dlpar is not going to work.

How do I active the new VIO profile? I was under the assumption that the DLPAR from step 3 would do this.

Can I active the new VIO profile without rebooting the VIO server? I have only one VIO server so I do not want to reboot the VIO server because it is servicing production LPARs.

the only way to get a updated profile active for any partition is to shutdown the partition and activate the updated profile.
you should be running reduntant vio partitions, if you do you can update their profiles and reboot them one at a time without intruption to services provided to client partitions.

1 Like

I'm sure there has to be another way. I say this because someone else created a LPAR on this system without rebooting the VIO server.

Due to circumstances I cannot ask this person how he managed to create the LPAR without rebooting the VIO server.

Did you run the

cfgdev

command in the VIO Server to discover the newly added vscsi adapter?

And the LPAR needs to have a Client SCSI adapter not a Server one.

1 Like

The Server SCSI adapter was a typo in this post. It was correct on the server.

After running

cfgdev

the new LPAR does show up in the lsmap output. Thanks.