VGA distributor hardware detection

Hi,

I am trying to find the monitor information attach to my system. To get the detail I have decoded the information available in edid file using edid-decode utility.

The file is available at /sys/devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:01.0/drm/card0/card0-VGA-1/edid

After decoding edid file I get the attached monitor details. Now I have situation where I am using VGA distributor which split the signal and I can connect multiple monitor through it.After doing this I am still getting the same monitor information in my edid file.Second monitor detail is missing from it. I try to restart the system and found that file empty edid file is generated if two monitor is connected.

I have concluded that after starting the system some utility is actually creating the edid file but I am not sure which one is doing this.

Can anyone let me know how to detect if multiple monitor is connected to my system through VGA distributor ? I am using Ubuntu 14.04 on HP machine.

Any help or suggestion is highly appreciated. :slight_smile:

Thanks

I am fairly certain what you want isn't possible with a VGA distributor. You'd need separate video cards to get different EDID data through each.

1 Like

Thanks.

Is there any other method to identified if VGA distributor is connected to my system Or Any method to forcefully generate edid file.

Attach only one monitor at a time, have the edid file created at startup, and save it with a meaningful name.
I'd guess that with multiple monitors attached via a distributor the info (if any!) flowing back to the host will be promiscuous and ambiguous due to collisions.

No.

Pretty much "do it yourself".

Perhaps you could disable detection and use a profile you know works for all monitors.