verify patch update

Hi All,

If I need to verify my solaris 8 with patch 110910-03 and I query the server below:

#showrev -p | grep 'Patch: 110910-'
Patch: 110910-01 Obsoletes: Requires: Incompatibles: Packages: SUNWcsu

Do I still need to apply the patch if the older 110910-01 patch exist?

Please comment.

Thanks.

03 is newer then 01. so if you've problems that can be fixed with a newer version of the patch you have to add the new one...

One more thing, if the required patch is 108528-24 and the system already have higher versions like 108528-26 and 108528-29. Do still need to apply required patch 108528-24?

Please comment again.

no. only if the newer patch has some issues and a lower version is recommended until the problems are fixed.

And also bear in mind that its recommended to always use the patch cluster instead of applying individual patches. You must know the dependencies if you're updating a patch at a time. But its never recommended.
But in cases where interim patches are released by SUN, you will have to patch using the backout "-B" option.

You don't need to use -B. That option is only for specifying an alternate backout location ( other than package db ) so long as the -d option is not specified a backout directory will be created.