Verify Hard Drive was swapped

I recently had a vendor hot-swap a faulty hard drive on my system. The fault was determined before there were any noticeable errors with regular operation on the user end. The vendor claims to have replaced the faulty hard drive. Is there a way to verify that the hard drive has been replaced? I checked prtdiag and did not immediately see any dates or times associated with the hard drives. I'm not sure what the output was like before the hard drive was swapped.

SunOS xxxxxx 5.9 Generic_122300-57 sun4u sparc SUNW,Sun-Fire-V240

Check "showlogs" command in ALOM. Also /var/adm/messages should contain some warning messages about HDDx being removed/inserted.

iostat -E

will list serial numbers for hard drives. This is the only way know of to tell if a disk was actually replaced with another disk. But you need to know the previous serial number. I do not know of any internal db that tracks previous device information like that. Don't you get some kind of invoice? If this is a coverage like we have, it is fully covered, so no cost involved.

You will see messages, but you cannot tell if the drive was actually replaced.

None of this applies to a SAN.

1 Like

ALOM appears to be outside of my scope - not sure that I have console access. But thank you anyway.

As for the invoice - it's a little more complicated than that but I think this will be helpful. From emails it seems they haven't done it yet so I'll take the output of iostat -E now and compare it tomorrow. All these machines are in a data centre and although I do trust the vendor I was just curious if there was some way to tell. It looks like iostat before and after are my best bet.