V890 serial console inaccessible

I am battling to get a V890 up and running. The system appears to have AUTOBOOT=false, so no OS comes up when it's powered on, and I do not have the credentials to get to the RSC management console. Output to ttya serial console ends at "Probing I/O buses", I assume because output is then being directed to the RSC card. Here is what I have tried;

• boot system with key in diagnostic position
  • emulated Stop-N functionality via the press power button twice when Fault LED blinks rapidly method
  • removed RSC card and booted

I have performed the above multiple times, I am still getting no output to ttyya serial console beyond "Probing I/O buses". If only RSC setup could be wiped..... Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

booting in "diag" mode or removing the rsc card should redirect the output to the ttya port on the server. are you sure, you've the right cable for a serial connection? if i remember right, you'll need a "null modem" cable to connect to the 25pin port...

(the "diag" mode statement is only true with firmware higher than 4.15.x; removing of rsc card should always work)

I just tried the diag boot with RSC card removed, output ends at;

Probing I/O buses
/pci@8,600000: Device 1 network
/pci@8,600000: Device 2 SUNW,qlc fp disk
/pci@8,700000: Device 1 ide disk cdrom
/pci@8,700000: Device 2 Nothing there
/pci@8,700000: Device 3 Nothing there
/pci@8,700000: Device 4 Nothing there
/pci@8,700000: Device 5 Nothing there
/pci@9,600000: Device 1 Nothing there
/pci@9,600000: Device 2 Nothing there
/pci@9,700000: Device 1 network usb
/pci@9,700000: Device 2 Nothing there
/pci@9,700000: Device 3 Nothing there
/pci@9,700000: Device 4 Nothing there

Does the fact that I see output fine up to that point confirm the serial cable setup I'm using is OK? It's a 25-pin to RJ45 adapter, then to USB on my laptop. I'll pursue the null modem cable suggestion.

can be the cable which allows you to see output but not to make any input...

DukeNuke2, you sir, are a saviour. I thought I was good on my cabling, but after resurrecting a few items from the closet, bingo, it all magically appeared before my eyes on ttya.

What a great Friday morning, now I can make social plans for the weekend! Thanks so much, again.