V490 Network Active Hardware no IP

Hi All,

Been a while since I touched a Solaris box so thought I would fire one up just to keep a hand in and I am amazed I have stumbled so early on. I am using a Sun v490, running latest patch of Solaris 10. The system shows the interfaces are configured (ifconfig netstat etc) but no IP is working from them (ping arp etc). If I physically unplug one of the interfaces a console message is displayed and shows when its reconnected. I have check the firewall is turned off etc and still nothing... So I am sure I am missing something really obvious but scratching my head.

Cheers,

Diar.

Does the interface in question have an ip address? Are you using dhcp or static ip? If the interface does have an IP address...can you ping that from the system itself? Can you ping the loopback interface (127.0.0.1)? Are there any entries in the arp cache? arp -an. Show results from the commads you mention.

Hi,

Unfortunately I can't copy and paste the results verbatim so will have to retype.

a ping to localhost, replies
a ping to either of the interface address's fails,
ifconfig -a shows the ip address's bound to the correct interface
arp -an shows nothing.

Any ideas?

When you look at the ifconfig -a output, are the flags up and running true for the interface in question?

Eample:

e1000g0: flags=19040843<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,MULTICAST,IPv4> mtu 1500 index 2
          inet xxx netmask ffffffc0 broadcast xxx
          ether 0:14:4f:cb:71:5e

Thanks for you help guys I added "+ up" to the interface hostname file and that seems to have fixed it. Can't remember every having done that before though...