V20z terribly loud - firmware update?

Hello there!

I am familiar with Linux, FreeBSD, but relatively new to Solaris. Because I wanted to play a little with servers and networks, I got a used SunFire v20z with AMD Opteron processors and installed OpenIndiana 151a8 on top of that. This is the first machine of this kind I have ever owned, so therefore I'm a little unexperienced ...

The problem is, the machine is terribly loud, the fans are running at 10k RPM, according to the front panel. I did a lot of googling and found that I'd have to do a firmware update. pclid is up and running, here is some other probably useful information:

guru@sunfire:~# /usr/bin/powertop 
C-states (idle power)   Avg     Residency              P-states (frequencies)
C0 (cpu running)                (1.0%)                 2393 Mhz        100.0%
C1                      3.0ms   (99.0%) 

Wakeups-from-idle per second: 699.1     interval: 4.3s                                         
no ACPI power usage estimate available

Top causes for wakeups:                                                                        
58.2% (406.8)                  sched :  <xcalls> unix`dtrace_xcall_func                        
14.3% (100.1)               <kernel> :  genunix`clock                                          
 9.5% ( 66.6)               <kernel> :  ohci`ohci_handle_root_hub_status_change                
 8.1% ( 56.7)               <kernel> :  genunix`cv_wakeup                                      
 7.1% ( 49.9)               <kernel> :  SDC`sysdc_update                                       
 1.4% (  9.8)               <kernel> :  ata`ghd_timeout                                        
 0.6% (  4.0)               <kernel> :  genunix`schedpaging                                    
 0.2% (  1.6)            <interrupt> :  bge#0                                                  
 0.2% (  1.2)               <kernel> :  TS`ts_update                                           
 0.1% (  0.9)            <interrupt> :  bge#1                                                  
 0.1% (  0.5)            <interrupt> :  ata#1                                                  
 0.0% (  0.2)               <kernel> :  ip`mld_slowtimo                                        
 0.0% (  0.2)               <kernel> :  ip`igmp_slowtimo                                       
 0.0% (  0.2)               <kernel> :  kcf`rnd_handler                                        
 0.0% (  0.2)               <kernel> : mpt`mpt_watch                                          

guru@sunfire:~# uname -a
SunOS sunfire 5.11 oi_151a9 i86pc i386 i86pc
guru@sunfire:~# smbios -i 1
ID    SIZE TYPE
1     70   SMB_TYPE_SYSTEM (system information)

Manufacturer: Sun Microsystems
  Product: Sun Fire V20z
  Version: 00
  Serial Number: XG051201047

UUID: ebe22502-ce33-11d9-9eae-0060b0b39dd0
  Wake-Up Event: 0x6 (power switch)
  SKU Number: 
  Family:                                                                                         

How do I perform an SP firmware update? I followed the official documentaton so far but I have no idea whether this is solaris-specific. Using the front panel I could not the the SP firmware update tool to work properly with DHCP, although IPs are assigned finely. Maybe the standard port does not work? What do I have to do? I plugged the ethernet cable into port 0 if that's relevant.

All I want to have is silence :smiley:

Thank you in advance!

What documentation are you using?

https://docs.oracle.com/cd/E19121-01/sf.v20z/819-2714-14/819-2714-14.pdf