util-linux upgrade with interruption?

Hi All,

I have util-linux upgrade that I need to do on redhat 4 ent. Does this going to interruption with the operation of the OS or application? Or this will be straight forward upgrade that will not make a harm or downtime of the OS.

Thank you for any comments you may add.

I cannot give you a definitive answer.

Some of those upgrades affect low-level code. Some require a reboot. A lot of them are for security problems. I would say very probably yes - kick everybody off the system. Reboot to runlevel 1. Do a backup before applying it. This is what I have always done when doing a kernel/OS update.

It just means that you get to do what most sysadmins do, work at 1:00am on Sunday. When you can close off system access and not have users screaming about it.

Yes but this is not a kernel upgrade. Support always told me that the only reboot you need to do is a kernel upgrade, others are online upgrade most of the time. But since this is a utilities, which have many binaries. Maybe this will have exception.

This is the package, below.

util-linux-2.12a-24.el4.x86_64.rpm

I see NFS code changes in there.

filesystem code is a driver. You cannot have NFS filesystems mounted. So you have to kick users off NFS mounts. Sounds like disruption to me.