/usr out of disk space need to unmount/ expand volume /mount

Greetings,
I am running HP-UX 10.2 and /usr is out of disk space already. I installed IE 5.0 for UNIX on my machine under /usr and browsed the Internet for a while and presto no more disk space.
I have plenty of hard disk space on my computer so would like to expand the size of the volume. The problem being is that /usr is mounted and in use and cannot be expanded by SAM.
I need to know which commands to refer to in order to unmount , expand and then mount the volume /usr again.
Respectfully,
Dirk

You should login in single user mode to increase the space for /usr or /tmp or /var mount points.

Hi,

If you have Online JFS, you could do it on the fly. Otherwise you will need to bring to down to single user or use an ignite tape to resize the filesystems. Which means you will still need to bring the system down.

Leslie

Solved?

Yes the problem is solved for now. I resolved the problem by uninstalling Internet Explorer 5 for Unix from the /usr volume (the default) and installed it on its own volume. I tried in vain to expand the /usr volume without any luck. fuser reported that it was in use by root and I don't know how to unmount then expand the volume and mount it again outside of SAM.

Thanks for checking in.
Dirk

The next will be /var unless it was installed with a FS of 2 GB...

A few things: Is your root VG (vg00) mirrored? Which means whatever space left in the VG is to be divided by 2...

/var will be like /usr: SAM uses it... so unless you have OnlineJFS you are to learn "how to" for a few things without SAM, the easy way round is to have a ignite tape, but I suppose you have no DAT device installed?

So its not complicated:
1 - Bring the Box into single user (or boot into single user...)
2 - lvextend -L SSS /dev/vg00/lvolX (SSS in Megabytes...)
3 - umount /dev/vg00/lvolX
4 - extendfs /dev/vg00/rlvolX (notice the "r" in rlvolX)
5 - mount /dev/vg00/lvolX

If it does not automatically backup lvm structure, ->
vgcfgbackup vg00

You should know where the system saves LVM and Filesystem information:
look at /etc/lvmconf /etc/lvmtab /etc/fstab

The commands you need to know for disks and LVM:
pvcreate
pvdisplay
pvchange
vgcfgbackup
vgcfgrestore
vgcreate
vgextend/vgreduce
vgexport/vgimport
vgremove
vgdisplay
lvdisplay
lvcreate
lvextend
lvremove
newfs
extendfs

Not bad for a start? (Read the man pages and feel welcome to ask here if some of it isnt clear...)

Good luck