using the perl version of the find command...

hi,
i am looking through the perl documentation in the man pages for the first time but I have looked at some other reference giudes before (at a glance) and remember that there is a find command used by perl can any one give me a structured example of that command and how it works and if possible were to look for reference to this type of command construct...
moxxx68..

There is no intrinsic Perl function that allows you to do a file search like the shell "find" command. With the core functions, the most you can get is to call the opendir() and readdir() functions recursively and use regular expression to carry out the search (or use stat() to search for file attributes).

Newer Perls does ship with a File::Find module though, it's already the closest match I can find, but actually not quite similar, and not as versatile/flexible as the shell "find" command. It may be what you are looking for, but may be not. This is a module, not an intrinsic command, or function.

On the CPAN there is also the File::Find::Rule module, seems to be a bit more versatile though, but you need to install it yourself before use. There are also a handful lots of other modules for file searching on the CPAN. If you have time, you can also dig out some from

http://search.cpan.org/search?query=File%3A%3AFind%3A%3ARule&mode=all

I have not used any of these modules before so I am unable to give you an example. You may find a few examples with some googling though.

great....!
thanx moxxx68.