Using Sed to Delete Words in a File

This is a Nagios situation.

So i have a list of servers in one file called Servers.txt

And in another file called hostgroups.cfg, i want to remove each and every one of the servers in the Servers.txt file.

The problem is, the script I wrote is having a problem removing the exact servers in the Servers.txt file.

for EACH in `cat /var/home/me/Servers.txt`

do

cat /var/home/me/hostgroups.cfg | sed "s/$EACH//g" > /var/home/me/hostgroups.cfg1

cp /var/home/me/hostgroups.cfg1 /var/home/me/hostgroups.cfg2
cp /var/home/me/hostgroups.cfg1 /var/home/me/hostgroups.cfg

done

The hostgroups.cfg file often contains servernames with similar matching names and getting sed to remove JUST the server in the $EACH variable is another problem i keep encountering.

can someone please help me with this?

do you means your script will delete "are" and "hare" when you only want to delete "are"?
try the "\b" anchor,it match a whole word which is between two \b.
sed 's/\bABC\b//' will delete the ABC,not ABCD

for some bizarre reason, this isn't working.

Post an example of the file Servers.txt and the hostgroups.cfg file.

hostgroups.cfg:

There are several chunks similar to this in the hostgroups.cfg file.

define hostgroup {
      alias PRODUCTION
      hostgroup_name staged-hosts
      members     lht-rater-09.medy0.s.blah.net,db-tools-01.kedy0.s.blah.net,lhtgen-13.kedy0.s.blah.net,lhtgen-13.kedy0.s.blah.net,lhtgen-14.kedy0.s.blah.net,lhtgen-15.kedy0.s.blah.net,lhtgen-16.kedy0.s.blah.net,lhtgen-15.bedy0.s.blah.net,lhtgen-16.bedy0.s.blah.net,lhtgen-18.kedy0.s.blah.net,lhtgen-19.kedy0.s.blah.net,edge-evntpr-02.medy0.s.blah.net,edge-evntpr-04.medy0.s.blah.net,wifi-evntpr-01.vedy0.s,wifi-evntpr-02.vedy0.s,wifi-evntpr-03.vedy0.s,wifi-evntpr-04.vedy0.s,edge-evntpr-01.kedy0.s.blah.net,edge-evntpr-02.kedy0.s.blah.net,edge-tpr-03.kedy0.s.blah.net,edge-evntpr-04.kedy0.s.blah.net,edge-tpr-01.bedy0.s.blah.net,edge-evntpr-02.bedy0.s.blah.net,edge-tpr-03.bedy0.s.blah.net,edge-evntpr-04.bedy0.s.blah.net,edge-tpr-01.medy0.s.blah.net,edge-evntpr-03.medy0.s.blah.net
      use test-hostgroup
      }

Servers.txt:

edge-tpr-02.kedy0.s.blah.net
edge-tpr-03.kedy0.s.blah.net
edge-tpr-04.kedy0.s.blah.net
edge-tpr-01.bedy0.s.blah.net
edge-tpr-02.bedy0.s.blah.net
edge-tpr-03.bedy0.s.blah.net
edge-tpr-04.bedy0.s.blah.net
edge-tpr-01.medy0.s.blah.net
edge-evntpr-03.medy0.s.blah.net