Using RSYNC to copy files locally

Has anyone ever used rsync to copy files locally on one server? (in this case from one SAN volume to another).

I am familiar with using rsync to copy files between servers, but not locally, I would usually use cp or or tar or something.

Is rsync slower? Does it use additional overhead of the loopback interface? When I look at the man page it really looks as if it was intended to be used as a network copy mechanism.

So, my point is, does rsync use additional overhead as opposed to just using cp?

Thanks!

Are you doing this to mirror one volume to another on the SAN? If so, is the SAN not already configured as a RAID for data redundancy in case of a hard drive failure?

We are making a copy of a Database and the application files.

We are upgrading the database so we want to make a copy of the existing files to fall back to.

existing files are on /something and we want to copy to /somethingelse.
Both are on the same SAN, and it is RAIDed but they are different filesystems / volumes.

I did a Search of the Forum for "rsync vs cp" and found this:

you are looking to back up the database??? why not just dump it?

also, there is really no need to rsync the application files because you are copying to a new location and not a location where the files already exists... such as syncing the directories/files. tar.Z the files up and copy to new location.