Using liveupgrade on single ZFS pool

Hi Guys,

I have a single ZFS pool with 2 disk which is mirrored if i create a new BE with lucreate should i specify which disk where the new BE should be created?

Hi,

No lucreate can generate a clone of your actual boot environement on the same zpool (rpool by befault).

See http://docs.oracle.com/cd/E19253-01/821-0438/ggeff/index.html for full details on how to do it.

Thanks all for the reply,

so in a mirrored single pool there is no way to create a BE and choose any of the disk on the mirrored pool where BE should be created?. like -p in choosing a different pool.

i think i read something about LU on a mirrored disk but this is SVM and cant find anything on mirrored ZFS.

The question is: why would you want to do that?

If you have a mirrored pool, whatever you create on it is on both sides of the mirror.

Perhaps are you thinking of breaking the mirror before creating the new boot environment but with ZFS, unless you have not enough free space on the pool, that makes no sense.

Thanks all for the info :wink:

You might want to put your new BE on a different ZFS pool to avoid creating snapshots and clones. For a system with lots of non-sparse zones that gets upgraded about every three months or so by using LU on a new BE, all those snapshots and clones get really nasty to deal with.

If, on the other hand, every time you create a new BE using LU you do it on a different ZFS pool than the current live BE, you get a simple clean copy.