Using expect script with AIX's SMIT in cron

My searches turned up nothing relevant, so I apologize if this has already been looked at.

I am trying to run an expect script from a Solaris machine, that ssh's into an AIX machine, and interacts with a SMIT created menu system that runs a few backups for me.

The expect script runs fine when manually executed via a user, regardless of permissions, so I know its neither an issue of permissions or script functionality. (Script was created with autoexpect) However, when I run the script via a regular user's CRON tab, (or root's) I generate this SMIT error after trying to run the menu system on the AIX machine.

The environment variable TERM is currently set to a terminal type that does not support the full screen display capabilities required for SMIT. 
Set TERM to an appropriate terminal type or use another terminal.

The term on both machines is "xterm". It runs fine with this terminal when I execute the script manually. It's just when it runs from CRON that it generates this error. I've tried manually exporting $TERM as xterm and vt100 in the expect script before calling SMIT without success.

Any advice on what else I could troubleshoot, or what I may be missing?

Thanks!