Using a Modem on a T5-2 or a T5240

Hi Folks,

Just a quick question - hopefully!

I have an application currently running on a V890 with Solaris 9, I'd like to move this to either one of our T-5's or one of the T5240's in a Legacy container on an LDOM - but the fly in the ointment is the application still uses a standard Hayes dial-up modem.

Obviously the T-5 is the best option here for going forward, but the T5240 has a DB9 connector and it can be used as a TTYA device.

There's a couple of things that I'd like to ask.

1. Has anyone connected a serial modem to a T-5 using a USB/Serial converter.
  2. Has anyone connected a serial modem to a T5240 and passed it through to an LDOM.

Or has anyone got any pointers to information with guidance, it's obviously not done very often nowadays.

Regards and TIA

Gull04

Support on Solaris SPARC LDOM 10 or 11 ? - Digi Forum

Hi H,

Ta, muchly for that. Although I'm not sure that it will help that much, the issue is that it would seem that there are no "USB" drivers that will work from within the Legacy container.

It is currently looking like the T5240 would be the best solution, but I still have the issue to some extent. I'm currently looking at creating an I/O domain to see if that will get me round the issue of passing the "TTY" device through the hypervisor.

I'll eventually report my success or failure in the forum.

Regards

Gull04

Are you sure that the (legacy) zone would run the device drivers?

Aren't all devices/peripherals driven by the global zone with any non-global zones being given access via the global? Like with ethernet interfaces, the legacy zone either has exclusive or shared access to the network adapter but the global runs the driver.

I'm assuming that access to a USB or serial port would depend on whether the non-global zone has the device mapped (in /dev) and then whether the global allows the access, assuming the device is not already in use.

Perhaps other forum members may know the specifics.