user account priviledges

Hi Admins,

As per my knowledge there are two types of user accounts in unix. root and normal users.
If there are any user types for which we can give some priviledges..?
Actually i want to restrict root access and create new accounts for admins with some of the priviledges.
Please let me know how i can do the same.
I have used ACL permissions in sol and hpux.But in AIX its not user friendly.

Regards
newaix

You are the same user as "newaix"? Please clarify this, thanks.

There is a good article in IBM Developer works on Role Based Access Control: Understanding advanced AIX features: Role-based access control in simple steps

Also, you may use the good old "sudo" based delegation. I work as user administrator and our client has relied on "sudo" over RBAC to make it easier for us as client has other UNIX systems as well. So we use it on all UNIX servers including AIX, Solaris, and RHEL. :smiley:

Hi admins,

I want to distribute some root privileges to non-root accounts.Like user john should handle only LVM activities.User San should handle all user level activities etc.

i was searching for rbac features and found some are with 5.3

Here we can create new role but no new authorizations.

Please let me know how to create new role to perform LVM activities .

Regards
newaix

You'd better to consider the sudo as agood option , No real RBAC on AIX 5.3 (there will be RBAC in AIX 6) .

Hi thanks for the response.

i have downloaded binary package of sudo . Please tell me how i can modify sudoers file so that non root user john can do all levels of LVM activities.I want to John to be priviledged to perform only LVM activities ,no other root tasks.

Regards
newaix

For an example of /etc/sudoers file: which gives you a hint to start have a look here
It's recommended to edit the /etc/sudoers, make sure you're logged in as root and type:

/usr/local/sbin/visudo