Urgent Help!!!

Hi all!

I have one big problem! Today, I do not log in my server which contains a production Oracle Database, however, it still runs. No console, no telnet, no SSH is to be allowed. I do not understand, really.

Google searching, I found that, one action can cause it. It is described like "Some one changed owner one of root's directory to the other, it may be /etc, /sbin..., and it caused no-one to connect the server".

The problem I traced it by copied file automatically before its accidents is "
#chown -R oracle:dba /etc"

And then, I do not understand how to fix it. Said my friend "Do not reboot it, because it can be died". :frowning:

I need you!
Thank you very much!

I found one action

Step 1: Boot by CDROM
Step 2: List device by format command line, to display all of devices, the first is often boot disk.
Step 3: Mount this disk
Step 4: Re-change the owner of /etc from oracle to root
Step 5: Unmount the disk
Step 6: Reboot.

Please confirm me those steps!

Thank you very much!

This sound like a mess. :frowning:

Your procedure may work, but remember that format will give you slice 2 of each disk and root is probably slice 0.
c1t1d0s2
c1t1d0s0

Next remember that if you mount the disk on /mnt, you need to fix /mnt/etc not /etc. Also chmod -R changed all file and subdirectories under /etc not just /etc.

This will not work if the drive is mirrored. After you mount root, cat /mnt/etc/vfstab to see if if root is really what you think it is. If it is mirrored, you will need a much more complex operation to unmirror root. Then if you get it working, you can resync the mirrors.

Thank you for your reply!
Still now, I have not had any operation to repair the problem.

I am sorry because I did not make clean post.
The machine is Sun Sparc V890, and it has a SAN, including RAID 0. So, are these step below correct?

Step 1: Boot CDROM at a single mode

ok>boot cdrom -s

Step2: Find the disk stays at root

#format

The first disk is displayed was the /root disk. Clarify me if I am wrong!

Step 3: Mount the disk in a temp dir

#mkdir a
#mount /c1t0d0s0 /a

Step 4: Re-change the owner

#chown -R root /etc

Step 5: Umount the disk

#umount /a

Step 6: Reboot

#reboot

Definitely wrong. But I have no experience with a V890 with raid 0 (or even a v890 at all) so I don't know the correct procedure. But first of all, step 4 is wrong. When you boot from cdrom, you get a little /etc created for you. This /etc is not your problem. After you mount to /a you will have /a/etc and this is what needs fixing. But you should do the mount and then simply
cat /a/etc/vfstab
and post this. Then someone who understands your setup better than I may be able to help.

I have to tell you that I would not try for too long to fix this. It might be easier to simply rebuild the box.

Anyway, thank you very much!

I've just contact the Sun_Solve in my country, then I hope they can solve this problem.

Said you that, I understand my /etc mount in /a is not the directory I want. For this, I need to do it carefully.

Thank you!

Step 1: Boot CDROM at a single mode

ok>boot cdrom -s

Step2: Find Root-Mirror

metastat -p and find the root mirror ( if y need help post the output)

Step 3: Mount the disk in a temp dir
Code:

#mkdir /tmp/a
#mount /dev/md/dsk/D?(Root-mirror) /tmp/a

Step 4: Re-change the owner
Code:

#chown -R root:sys /tmp/a/etc

Step 5: Umount the disk
Code:

#umount /tmp/a

Step 6: Reboot
Code:

#reboot

Thank you very much!

Wish the best to all of you!

I have just reboot in single mode successfully, but I get one trouble. My server is running with SAN, and when I use the statment

#echo | format

this show like

AVAILABLE DISK SELECTIONS:
        0. c1t0d0 <SUN36G cyl 24620 alt 2 hd 27 sec 107>
           /pci@8,600000/SUNW,qlc@4/fp@0,0/ssd@w21000004cf6f1b1f,0
        1. c1t1d0 <SUN36G cyl 24620 alt 2 hd 27 sec 107>
           /pci@8,600000/SUNW,qlc@4/fp@0,0/ssd@w21000004cf6efe8d,0
        2. c5t600A0B80001323B80000000040F2051Dd0 

And I can not mount the disk root by

#mount dev/dsk/c1t0d0 /a

Help me to solve this problem!

Thank you!

you can not mount the whole disk... you have to mount the slice containing the filesystem you want to edit.

e.g. c0t0d0s0

Thanks for your reply!

But when I used this command

#df -k

This did not show the device such as like filesystem, instead of cdrom and platform...

post the output of "df -h".

Thank you for your reply!

Now, I have solved this problem, it's caused by my mistake.
I am a newbie, so that, instead of booting -s to direct load /dev/dsk/Disk_root but I boot by cdrom -s. :smiley:

Fixed by[/b] chgrp [b]command line :D. When I used

#chown -R root:sys /etc

This show the errors (I am sorry but I did not remember exactly) and I could not change the owner.

Thanks so much!