urgent help needed on HP 9000 rp3410 server for a newbie

Hi friends
i dont know whether it is the right forum to ask this or not. if its not please excuse me and please give me the link for such a forum.
i am novice about HP 9000 rp3410 server and its things but i had to install and configure it. I came to know that it doesnot comes with builtin graphics support. So i tried to connect to console according to their documentation. It came preinstalled with HP UX 11i and now i dont know how to connect to it though iLO or console. I tried all things that was mentioned in their documentation.

1. Connect to MP using console
  2. Connect to MP using iLO
    using alternate methods but i am not getting anything on the machine connected as client. so can you please guide me on this. thanks a lot.

The easiest method will be using the serial port. Click on this link and scroll down to the bottom diagram. You need to connect that db-25 connector to an ascii terminal. Ascii terminals are rare these days, so you may need a pc instead. It will need to run hyperterminal or something like that. Yoy need to connect that db-25 on the back of your server to the serial port on the pc. Configure hyperterminal to be 9600 baud, 8 data bits, 1 stop bit, none parity.

It is possible that the box arrived broken, but it's more likely that you not connected things right. HP has very reliable hardware.

Hi thanks for ur reply. but i tried already whatever you have told but i have one doubt. which serial port in server you are telling is it the one that mentioned as console/remote/ups or some other one. I tried on this one i.e, the one that mentioned as console/remote/ups . but i am not getting it. Can you please guide me in little detail. please reply directly to my mail id removed. because in case we can chat in gmail also.

thanks a lot for given help and expect more help from you now

thanks and regards

Aravinda

Sorry that i forgot to say in my previous reply that i am not even clear about how to use hyperterminal. What i did is this.

1. Connected the null modem adapter between a pc and server
  2. switched on server and created a entry in the model list as communication cable between two computers ( This is needed or not i am not sure)
  3. using hyperterminal tried to connect to the server but whether server is ON or OFF it says connected. so i am clear that it is not working.
  4. i did the same thing with putty also but there it shows nothing but a cursor.

can you tell me anything that i am not doing or knowing it will be of greater help

thanks and regards

Aravinda

We have some rules here and one of them is:
(10) Don't post your email address and ask for an email reply. Don't send a private message with a technical question. The forums are for the benefit of all, so all Q&A should take place in the forums.

If it still is not working you may indeed have a broken server and it's probably time to place a service call with HP. The service guy will have a laptop that he can connect as the console to test it out.