Upgrading To Larger Disk?

I have just been assigned the task of upgrading to a larger disk on a e250; however, I am use to working on Linux and x86 hardware. I would be very appreciative if someone could inform me on how this procedure can be done safely.

To begin with, the e250 has a 18 Gig primary scsi disk and a 18 Gig secondary scsi disk . One partition on the primary disk is being striped using soltice disksuite. I'm guessing that I need to copy the the striped partiton data to a server with free space, then break the striped partiton. The new disk is 72 Gigs and I want a new partition scheme on it. Once I have moved the OS from the old 18 gig disk to the new 72 Gig disk. I have to mirror the new 72 Gig disk with a secondary 72 Gig disk. I have read documentation saying the disk to disk copy using ufsdump could be done in multi-user mode, but there are numerous NFS mounts from other servers. I have read of another method using ufsdump and booting from an installation cd into single-user mode. At this point, I am confused. How can I migrate to the larger disk with a new partition scheme? I can't afford to mess this up.

Verify you have a backup of your data (ufs dump) If you are backing up OS filesystems (/,usr,opt,var) you should take it to single user mode while you backup. Then make sure your backup data is not corrupted. (I like to install the data on another system for testing.)
Then install one of the 72 GB disks in an open slot. there should be an extrea space becasue the e250 can hold up to 6 disks.

Then config the new drive and mirror the drive with the disk you are upgrading. Once complete, break the mirror and offline the disk. Replace the old disk iwth the second new 72 GB disk, config it, and mirror it. Then you are done. If you are replacing the boot disk then you need to add the boot block and boot on the mirror before repalcing the second disk.

The back up you created should be just in case corruption occurs on the mirror.

If I do the data transfer in single-user mode, do I need to use Solaris cd1 and boot cdrom -s. Then mount the each partition from the primary drive, that I want to copy, to the /a directory of the cdrom ramdisk? Then mount the secondary disk to the /a/mnt directory on the primary root drive?

Or can I just boot into single user mode and perform the copy after mounting the seconday disk to /mnt on the primary disk.

You should not need any cdroms to do a level 0 backup from single user.